1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage - Feeling Totally Inadequate

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by RGJM2012, May 21, 2012.

1. RGJM2012

RGJM2012 New commenter

I know exactly how you feel. I can't really go into detail on here but I have had a very, very similar situation during my training year. I have had to have serious words with myself about it all as it very nearly ruined my training all together as I continued to compare my progress to that of someone else. In a nutshell your training and your teaching style is just that - YOURS. Some people will find elements of the course easier than others and evidently he is very confident in the classroom, I am sure there are other areas that he needs to develop further as we all do. But he isn't your problem. You just need to concentrate on your training, at your pace and in your own time. It sounds to me like you're making great progress, as they say, slow and steady wins the race. You haven't been perfect from the off and therefore have had things to reflect on and learn from which is actually a blessing because you can consider things that have worked and things that haven't and take that with you forever. I have found this training so hard and I like you have made steady progress, we will all end this course as qualified teachers and we will all find our own way in the world. Please don't worry about this other person, I am sure he is a fantastic teacher but that doesn;t mean you aren't! Just get through your course and watch your file fill with evidence relevant to you and you alone. I am sure you're doing a great job xx

2. Jammy-Dodger

Jammy-Dodger New commenter

Just wanted to second what the previous poster said about not comparing yourself to anyone else. I was on my second PGCE placement with a girl who seemed to sail through it all really easily and I also found it really tough, though we were in different classes so it obviously wasn't as tough as you've got it. She got 1s right from the start and was always so keen to tell me (and everyone else in the staffroom!) what amazing lessons she'd just taught, how the kids were hanging on her every word and what amazing feedback she was getting. I made much more steady progress and found this made it so much more difficult than it should have been, especially as we got on (and still do get on) really well outside of school.
    This was two years ago now, and out in the real world, I've been lucky enough to land my dream job in an amazing school, have found my stride and am now getting on really well. After struggling to get 1s during the PGCE, and only achieving it right at the very end, I've been rated outstanding on my last three observations - now I'm left alone to do my own thing without anyone breathing down my neck, I've figured out what works for me. Meanwhile, my placement buddy really struggled through her NQT year and is seriously thinking about leaving teaching altogether.
    Everyone progresses at their own speed - I know exactly how hard it is when it feels like everyone loves the other student and you're the 'other one', but just keep smiling, rise above it and remember that this placement won't last for ever. Good luck!

3. Hey thanks, I know it's easier said than done though! Trying not to let him bother me, especially in the lessons I'm not in.
    My subject mentor has told him about his behaviour in my lessons so hopefully he'll be okay for now.
    Thanks again