1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage: doing the PGCE in primary in East London, can i do my NQT in Northern Ireland?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by noo8219, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Dear Sage,

I'm a PGCE (primary teaching) student at UEL at the moment and starting to apply for jobs. I'm from the republic of Ireland and just wondering can i do my NQT year in Northern Ireland and how do i go about applying, is it through pools similar to here? Would you recommend it? I have googled it so many times but to no avail most of the information I'm getting from websites is out of date...so I'm here to ask for your help!!

Thank you :)

2. Hey
    Say hello to all UEL for me noo8219 - I did my PGCE there. There were many Irish students doing PGCE there and some did do NQT year in Ireland. Email Ann Slater, she will tell you the answer.

Enjoy
    Busyb33[​IMG]

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I'm afraid Ann is no longer at UEL. You can complete statutory induction in Northern Ireland but you need to research the job situation. Currently there are a lot of irish students applying to the England particularly London which is perhaps reflective of the market for primary teachers?