1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage, Curriculum responsibility post nqt?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by ESLAB, May 5, 2012.

1. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Dear Sage, I wonder if you could tell me more about what happens after I have finished my nqt year with regard to curriculum responsibilities? I work in a small school and teachers have alluded to the fact that I will be taking on curriculum responsibilities next year. My mind is full of questions!! What can I expect subject wise? Mght it be a Core Subject or is it likely to be a Foundation Subject? Could it be more than one subject? Do I get paid more for doing some and not others? When a subject becomes my responsibility, how much or how little do I do? Is there a website which tells me what needs doing? Would I be responsible for purchasing resources for the whole school for that subject? Would I be responsible for what year covers what? An indication of what to expect and how to find out more, would be much appreciated. Thank you! Not something that was covered during my PGCE and I am in a school which asks a lot (I feel) so I want to be sure of where I stand for September by knowing what can be expected of me.

2. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Dear Sage, I wonder if you could tell me more about what happens after I have finished my nqt year with regard to curriculum responsibilities? I work in a small school and teachers have alluded to the fact that I will be taking on curriculum responsibilities next year. My mind is full of questions!! What can I expect subject wise? Mght it be a Core Subject or is it likely to be a Foundation Subject? Could it be more than one subject? Do I get paid more for doing some and not others? When a subject becomes my responsibility, how much or how little do I do? Is there a website which tells me what needs doing? Would I be responsible for purchasing resources for the whole school for that subject? Would I be responsible for what year covers what? An indication of what to expect and how to find out more, would be much appreciated. Thank you! Not something that was covered during my PGCE and I am in a school which asks a lot (I feel) so I want to be sure of where I stand for September by knowing what can be expected of me.

3. I did some work on this during my GTP year - What subject co-ordinators roles are and why? I think it would form a useful part of initial teacher training. We put this into my training plan because it was something I asked about and as my mentor was numeracy co-ordinator I shadowed her at staff meetings or INSET days that had a 'curriculum' responsbility focus as well as at meetings with the governors.
    Perhaps speak to your NQT mentor and put some training in on this. I feel it is very important and something that is easily missed. My NQT school did things differently and everyone (including TAs) were in curriculum teams with someone organising it (a member of the SLT) this gave me an opportunity to see a different way of doing it.
    I ended up with two responsibility areas this year one a large curriculum area and one to do with school community that was highlighted as a priority for OFSTED but because of OFSTED changes isn't now, so the second has been somewhat sidelined. Looking forward to see what happens for next year now.

4. To be honest trhe majority of your questions can only be answered by the head as he/she will decide how duties are distributed. Why not seek a meeting to discuss these things, alternatively, ask others in the school who have been there and who know how the head likes to work. Casual enquiry is OK but try not to get too stressed about it.
    The Sage