1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage, can an NQT apply for....

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by susiec08, Mar 30, 2012.

1. a post that is offering a TLR to the right person?
    It is at a school that I will be doing 1 day a week during the summer term, I really love it and feel very much at home. I have 15 years other experience prior to teacher training.
    What do you think?

2. a post that is offering a TLR to the right person?
    It is at a school that I will be doing 1 day a week during the summer term, I really love it and feel very much at home. I have 15 years other experience prior to teacher training.
    What do you think?

3. You have absolutely no chance i'm afraid. As an nqt you could not possibly handle this role effectively. You are free to apply for any job of course, but a school can't give you this responsibility at your stage of teaching. Your job as an nqt is to totally get to grips with teaching and learning with regards to yourself and your class. None of the staff would take notice of you as you are unable to lead by example.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Apply for the post. It's the substantive post being advertised and the TLR is an 'optional extra' for the right person. If they want you, they will recruit you even if not able to give you a TLR in your first year. Someone else in the school, or a new recruit, with experience, to another vacancy may get the TLR (temporarily or otherwise).

5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

You can't be given TLR nor additional responsibilities during your Induction, but that doesn't mean you can't apply for the job. It's possible the advert offers the "TLR to the right person" because they want to attract the widest field of applicants and don't want to put people off who are looking for a step up.