1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage - break in nqt year

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by moomin4, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Hiya,

I am going to be leaving my primary school at Easter as they have not supported me properly and have only focused on what I wasn't doing right and therefore left my confidence and ability to do my best in pieces. I will therefore have completed autumn and spring term, so have 1 full term left to complete elsewhere.

I know the school are unlikely to give me a great reference and I know another job is going to be hard to find, but I am confident that in the right school I can be a great teacher as I had a very successful PGCE and my LA rep said that I had many strengths. (but could see how the situation I was being placed in was causing my problems).

I plan to use the summer time to do supply, upskill my subject knowledge, reading on behaviour, classroom management etc..... And hopefully find a more suitable school in sept.

However, if I don't, my question is how long a break can I have between now and completing my final nqt term?

Thanks

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

As long as you like, but the longer the break, the less recent your experience will be and, consequently, your applications will look weaker. I hadn't realised how negatively supply is viewed - more than a couple of terms is seen by some people as an indication that you aren't good enough to get a job. So, although there is no time limit at present, it is in your interests to get another job as quickly as you can.

3. ok thanks for that. I am not planning a long break at all, just wanted to check options.

4. There is no restriction on any break during induction. At present the only restriction that would apply in your case would be the 16 month rule. You can only do supply for a maximum of 16 months from the date of your first day on supply (if you have done no supply since gaining QTS then you still have your full 16 months). There isan intention to increase this to 5 years from the date of gaining QTS, but as yet this has not been made official.
    The Sage

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's also possible to continue/complete Induction on supply. Covering a long-term sickness or a maternity cover would fit the bill if you couldn't get another permanent job immediately. You would then be able to apply for the job you want with a completed Induction, which would look better than fronting up withpaperwork saying 'not making sufficient progress to meeting the standards' .
    Your options for supply are LA supply register, private agencies (lower pay than you currently get and no pension) or canvassing schools directly and being taken on with a fixed term contract (more likely for maternity covers).