1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage - Are observation expectations reasonable?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Aliceparker88, May 3, 2012.

1. I'm an NQT in my third term. So far I've had a total of 8 hour long formal observations (by my mentor, the head and an ex-head 'friend' of the head) over 2 terms, although I've also had informals and learning walks as well as 'in class support' from the deputy (my mentor), which involved an amount of observation. This has not seemed particularly unrealistic, as barring the informal and walk rounds, these were all planned in advance.
    This term, in addition to my formal NQT observations, I have been told to expect 'drop in' observations from the head (she's doing these for all members of staff) and drop ins from the deputy (both as general observations and to inform the maths SEF). These will all be formal observations, and we have been told to expect them for an entire hour at any point leaving me on edge during every lesson and working extra hours to ensure every single lesson is of a good quality.
    Is this the case in many schools? Are there any recommendations on how many and how often NQT observations should be carried out? I was graded highly in the assessment at the end of last term, so there are no concerns over my progress.

2. I'm an NQT in my third term. So far I've had a total of 8 hour long formal observations (by my mentor, the head and an ex-head 'friend' of the head) over 2 terms, although I've also had informals and learning walks as well as 'in class support' from the deputy (my mentor), which involved an amount of observation. This has not seemed particularly unrealistic, as barring the informal and walk rounds, these were all planned in advance.
    This term, in addition to my formal NQT observations, I have been told to expect 'drop in' observations from the head (she's doing these for all members of staff) and drop ins from the deputy (both as general observations and to inform the maths SEF). These will all be formal observations, and we have been told to expect them for an entire hour at any point leaving me on edge during every lesson and working extra hours to ensure every single lesson is of a good quality.
    Is this the case in many schools? Are there any recommendations on how many and how often NQT observations should be carried out? I was graded highly in the assessment at the end of last term, so there are no concerns over my progress.

3. Normally I would expect NQTs to be informed of observations, and the legal minimum is six, but there are no maximums. Mr Gove - the education secretary - decided that Heads should be able to observe any and all staff as and when they please (this extends to others in the SLT as the head would delegate to them responsibility to carry out observations). So, in short if the head is not treating your differently to any other staff member then what he/she is proposing is legal. Though, if I were a manager, then I would NOT have such a regime - making your staff edgy, nervous or on tenterhooks all the time is not, in my view, the best way of getting the best out of them. We seem to have lost trust in people and that is so, so sad.
    The Sage