1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage / Anyone who can help - Cover letters and job applications

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sadie_hunt, Mar 31, 2012.

1. I am in my final year of a 3 year primary teaching degree and about to start my final teaching placement block. I am now starting to look and apply for jobs. However, I am wondering about the cover letters that are asked for with the completed applications. I have never had to write a cover letter before as the jobs I have had previously have never asked for one. I am unsure what needs to be included or the general tone or structure :S Are there any websites with tips/examples or does anyone have any tips?

2. I am in my final year of a 3 year primary teaching degree and about to start my final teaching placement block. I am now starting to look and apply for jobs. However, I am wondering about the cover letters that are asked for with the completed applications. I have never had to write a cover letter before as the jobs I have had previously have never asked for one. I am unsure what needs to be included or the general tone or structure :S Are there any websites with tips/examples or does anyone have any tips?

3. Reading application letters is one of my favourite things to do. Love shortlisting and interviewing.
    My advice to you would be to start your letter with the phrase, please accept this letter in support of my application for the post you're applying for - use the words they used in the advert.
    Your next paragraph should be concise and give brief information about yourself. For example, I am currently in my final year at your uni and about to complete my final teaching practice. During my time at said uni, I have had experience of working in a Y1, Y2, Y3, classroom. This has been invaluable in preparing me for my first teaching post OR this post.
    Next - address each of the essential bullet points from the job description. Expand each statement by addressing the desirable bullet point. For example, an essential bullet point might be experience of working in KS1. So, your statement could read: I have a range of experience of working in Key Stage 1, as my teaching practices have given me the opportunity to work with children in Y1 and Y2. If the desirable criteria is experience of using end of KS1 assessment, then you could go on to add: I have some experience of working with children at the end of KS1 as my current teaching practice is with Y2. You could then say what your experience is. This isn't an entry into a creative writing competition. Be very careful of elaboration. They will call for references. If I receive a reference request for a previous student, I photocopy their final report.
    When you've done that, you could pad it out by talking about your strengths and weaknesses (in relation to the standards), but I'd save that for interview.
    Don't let the letter go on more than 2 sides of A4. I like letters that answer what we are looking for. However, a previous headteacher that I used to work for liked letters that said what your beliefs in teaching were. Whenever I write a supporting statement / letter for a job application, I try and include at least 1 "one of my beliefs in teaching" statements. For example, "One of my beliefs in teaching is that all children should be given clear and consistent boundaries in terms of behaviour." Then you go on to exaplain - briefly - what that means for you.
    Feel free to PM me with some of your ideas.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Check out prospects.ac .uk for advice on teaching applications also the unuions produce very useful guidance. Whatever you do do not plagiarise someone else's letter- it needs to be unique to you. It is very easy to copy phrasing and errors and when 2 applications look the same then its impossible to determine which is the copy so both get binned.Focus on your strengths and what you have learnt from teaching practices- emphasise any sporting/cultural skills which can help contribute to the wider school life.