1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage - anxiety problems

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Kitchie1710, May 19, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I have a very difficult decision to make and need some advice. I am nearing the end of my PGCE. I failed my last observation so now have been given extra time and put on a cause for concern doc. I know what this has happened - I have an anxiety disorder and have taken medication for this for nearly 10 years. I was fine in Phase 1 (v.good observation) and was OK most of phase 2. Towards the end of that phase and since the start of this, my anxiety has spiralled and I now am really lacking confidance and am struggling to cope with the basics. I want to know if it is ever possible to work in teaching succesfully whilst having this sort of problem? I have an NQT job but I am concerned I will let down that school as the teacher they observed months ago is not the teacher I am (or probably will be) when I start with them. If I haven't mastered these basics by then I will not last beyond the first half term.
    Do you know of anyone who had a similar problem and what happened to them? Are schools ever supportive of this kind of problem or would I be seen as a liability?
    K

2. Hi,
    I have a very difficult decision to make and need some advice. I am nearing the end of my PGCE. I failed my last observation so now have been given extra time and put on a cause for concern doc. I know what this has happened - I have an anxiety disorder and have taken medication for this for nearly 10 years. I was fine in Phase 1 (v.good observation) and was OK most of phase 2. Towards the end of that phase and since the start of this, my anxiety has spiralled and I now am really lacking confidance and am struggling to cope with the basics. I want to know if it is ever possible to work in teaching succesfully whilst having this sort of problem? I have an NQT job but I am concerned I will let down that school as the teacher they observed months ago is not the teacher I am (or probably will be) when I start with them. If I haven't mastered these basics by then I will not last beyond the first half term.
    Do you know of anyone who had a similar problem and what happened to them? Are schools ever supportive of this kind of problem or would I be seen as a liability?
    K

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Schools vary in their levels of support and even within schools, individuals vary in their attitudes. I would suggest trying to be more positive. It isn't easy to get a teaching job, and you have one. The school chose you. You are worrying about things that haven't happend. September is a new start. Make a list of difficulties and potential problems and think of strategies you could use. Make another list of positives, the things you do well and ways of developing these. Get yourself organised over the summer. Deal with things within your control: sort house and family routines, organise a work space, rest and have fun. Get information on your new school and plan the first couple of weeks for classes where you can. Download or plan some emergency lessons for times when things don't go as planned. Decide next year will be better - it could be!

4. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Hi,

I know how you feel. A few years ago I was on my PGCE loving every minute of it, I had a good first placement and was doing very well with the essays side too. Whilst on my 2nd placement It was the anniversary of the death of someone very close to me and I broke down, started getting awful observations, my mentor actually started bulling me and degrading me to top it off. I unsurprisingly failed the placement and figured I would have to quit the course. I talked with my university who were unsure whether it was my teaching or issues surrounding me and they offered me2 choices. I could quit or I could do an observational gentle placement and my essays this year and come back to do my placements next academic year.

What happened...

After gathering my thoughts I still loved teaching even though I was not in the best place. I agreed to do the observational placement and worked my way up to doing 80% NQT timetable instead! I impressed my mentor and went back the next year to do my placements. There were hard parts but I knew I had made the right decision and proved all my critics wrong. I made the decision to do supply for a year and became even more confident, securing a term and being ofsteded as satisfactory with good and being asked back by almost every school I go to. I am awful at applications so trying to get an interview has been hard (regardless of job), although I finally have one!

The moral of the story?

If you can find the self confidence to do what you want, you will cope. I also have dyslexia so I get anxious about things and muddled but I manage. Take a breather every now and then and refocus on your strengths. You have secured a job and done well up to now and that teacher is still in there somewhere.

Good luck!