1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage-Advice on passing NQT year

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by hmblm, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Hi
    I have had my 4th obs today and so far have gotten satisfactory on my previous 3. Today I got borderline satisfactory leading towards unsatisfactory. I feel awful and useless thinking I should be progressing onto good and I feel as though I'm getting worse not better.

My mentor is really critical and looks at my negatives more than my positives and I feel as though he takes out the joy of teaching.

I am trying my hardest to do well and I'm kinda flat-lining at the moment. Is it possible to fail your NQT year on a satisfactory especially since the head said he only wants good to outstanding teachers working in his school? Feel like I'm not wanted there :(

2. Sit down with your mentor - explain that you are a person wholearns froim positive reinforcement - very much like the childre, that you really value them pointing out the areas from improvement but could they also tell you where things have fone qwell as by understanding what you do well you can learn how to improve the weaker areas. It never fails to amaze me that mentors often forget that adults - teachers - are not very different from children. If you constantly told a child only what they did wring then your mentor would mark your lesson as unsatisfactory - so how do we grade a mentor who only tekls the NQT what's wrong?
    Ask if you can observe the mentor putting into good or better practice things that you struggle with; ask for an action plan with a detailed set of criteria about what the mentor is looking for so that you know what the goal is and what you need to do to improve.
    The Sage

3. Thank you, that is useful advice. Its very true they only ever focus on what you're doing wrong and ignore the positives.