1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage, advice on failing NQT

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Bobthefisherman, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Seeking advice with regard to a rather difficult situation. A colleague who is approaching the end of his 3rd term has recently been informed he is failing.
    He had satisfactory for the first 2 assessments , with some elements of good. He is currently performing at a satisfactory level but has been told he needs to achieve good on a couple of elements of the core standards. He came to me for advice and I agreed to accompany him to a meeting and act as a scribe as unfortunately this matter arose after he had joined a union he cant get representation from them.
    I feel that this chap has had a raw deal, he has had poor support from the school induction tutor, inadequate advice and infrequent meetings, was taken on for a class with multiple behaviour problems. Requested help on issues that seem to have fallen on deaf ears and done his best to just "get on with it". If i had been aware earlier I could have offered more support.
    Also he was only aware of an appropriate body contact from the LEA after a meeting was called by the headteacher involving a representative from the LEA. He has tried to speak to the LEA representative but felt that they saw him as just making excuses for his failings.
    He has been given targets and observations made over the last few weeks at a rate of sometimes twice a day or as many as 5 or 6 in a week. The pressure is now really getting to him and i think its just too much for him.
    He has other work pressures placed upon him , that I don't want to go into for fear of giving away his identity or mine for that matter. I'm in a position within the school where I can't be seen to overtly speak up on his behalf. I feel he has done a good job in difficult circumstances but the odds seem stacked against him. He has certainly been let down by the support provided .
    What advice do you have regarding this situation.
    Bob

2. Seeking advice with regard to a rather difficult situation. A colleague who is approaching the end of his 3rd term has recently been informed he is failing.
    He had satisfactory for the first 2 assessments , with some elements of good. He is currently performing at a satisfactory level but has been told he needs to achieve good on a couple of elements of the core standards. He came to me for advice and I agreed to accompany him to a meeting and act as a scribe as unfortunately this matter arose after he had joined a union he cant get representation from them.
    I feel that this chap has had a raw deal, he has had poor support from the school induction tutor, inadequate advice and infrequent meetings, was taken on for a class with multiple behaviour problems. Requested help on issues that seem to have fallen on deaf ears and done his best to just "get on with it". If i had been aware earlier I could have offered more support.
    Also he was only aware of an appropriate body contact from the LEA after a meeting was called by the headteacher involving a representative from the LEA. He has tried to speak to the LEA representative but felt that they saw him as just making excuses for his failings.
    He has been given targets and observations made over the last few weeks at a rate of sometimes twice a day or as many as 5 or 6 in a week. The pressure is now really getting to him and i think its just too much for him.
    He has other work pressures placed upon him , that I don't want to go into for fear of giving away his identity or mine for that matter. I'm in a position within the school where I can't be seen to overtly speak up on his behalf. I feel he has done a good job in difficult circumstances but the odds seem stacked against him. He has certainly been let down by the support provided .
    What advice do you have regarding this situation.
    Bob

3. If he's currently working at satisfactory then he can't fail - he would need to be inadequate to fail. If none of his obs have been adequate then he'll be fine. I would suggest he looks for other schools though as there's obviously something going on here whereby management are trying to make his life difficult. He should not be made to feel he must hand in his notice - if he has a permanent contract and is not failing his nqt then management can't do much about that except try bullying tactics.

4. Hi
    The view that seems to being taken is that by continuing to make satisfactory progress, it is unsatisfactory! ! That he should be progressing.
    It has been stated to him, that under the new ofsted rules satisfactory is unacceptable. Whether this is a school management view that will be supported by the LEA appropriate body I'm unsure. But the appropraite body contact who was present at a meeting failed to comment when he was told he would fail by the headteacher unless he improved to good.

If anyone else could clarify on this point, it would be appreciated.
    Bob