1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sage, 16 month supply rule for newly qualified teachers

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by SarahReed, Mar 11, 2012.

1. SarahReed

SarahReed New commenter

Dear Sage,
    I'm half-way through my PGCE and am looking for jobs, but I"m fully aware of the stiff competition, so I may end up doing supply for a bit! I've heard about this 16 month supply rule for teachers, and that the current government are planning to stop it. Do you know if this is currently going ahead?
    Many thanks

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It is scheduled for April this year but the progress will depend upon if "the Gove" gets it through the Lords without amendments- it could be delayed but should be in from September at the latest. The plan is to give a straight 5 years timescale from QTS to achieving induction. Until the legislation is passed the current 16 month limit still applies.

3. Now, out of interest, does that mean that I can only be signed on with an agency for 16 months? Or do I get to actually work for 16 months before I have to request an extension?
    If I sign up to an agency and get no work for a month, am I **** out of luck? That month is just wasted as far as the limit is concerned?
    A lot of question marks.

4. The proposal is to change the '16 month' rule to one that is a fixed five year term from the date of gaining QTS - this time starts on the day of QTS award (that is the award provided by the DfE and dated on that certificate, usually August - not the date on which your provider says they are recommending you for QTS which is normally some time in June July).
    The current 16 month rule is that the 16 month starts ticking down from the day that you dor your first work on supply in a school, NOT the date you register with an agency - so if you register but do not have any work then you have not started the 16 months counting down.
    As mentioned above when this comes into effect will depend on how quickjly Mr Gove gets the legislation through the various Houses.
    The Sage