1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Sagacious

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by ESLAB, Mar 3, 2012.

1. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hi, I wonder if you could tell me how many Mentor meetings a NQT should get? I only meet with my Mentor after an observation. This means I have taken to asking my endless list of on-going questions to other members of staff but am now getting the distinct impression that they are starting to resent this! So I thought I might ask my Mentor for more regular meetings if I am entitled to them. Thanks for any advice.

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I don't know the answer to this and I'm not mentoring at the moment, but whether or not you're entitled to them, if you feel you need more meetings, ask for them. Some NQTs are very needy and want more of a mentor's time than is reasonable. Some need very little support and can manage quite nicely on their own - after all that's what most teachers did before the NQT year came in. Most NQTs come somewhere in between and mentors expect that. But we're all busy, especially if we have a lot of exam classes and it's easy to assume someone is OK if they're not saying otherwise. Think carefully about what you want. The NQT in our department complains about her mentor meetings because they stop her doing other things. Maybe you just need a quick ten minutes at the end of the day a couple of times a week, or maybe you would be happier with a proper timetabled slot. Ask for what you need. And ask if she minds you emailing quick questions that don't need a conversation. I wonder why you have an endless list now if you've been in post since September, or perhaps you started this term?

3. I don't know how many you should get but I am an NQT and have 1 meeting every week. However I find this a bit excessive as I have to have all my lessons planned a week in advance as they all get checked and I am not free to teach as I would like because all of my lessons have to meet the HOD's approval.
    I thought during the NQT year I would be given more independence to teach how I want (to a certain degree) and would have more freedom, however in my case it is the total opposite.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Do all teachers in the department/school have to plan their lessons a week in advance? If not, you can't be required to do so either.
    Induction regs state (or used to) that you are not required do detailed lesson plans (as on TP for instance) if that is not a requirement for all staff.
    At my last Induction school, where I had previously done one of my teaching practices, most teachers simply followed the very detailed SOW, with files of pooled resources. The tendency was for a couple of sentences to be writen in our planners for each lesson, with topic, relevant page numbers etc. I only had to write out full lesson plans for my two observed lessons.

5. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Thanks for various replies. Sagacious, if you're around, what do you think? Is there a minimum entitlement? Thanks.

6. There is no set minimu, though there is a minimum for observations (6 across the year). My own experience is that initially there are more meetings and they get fewer as the year goes on and the NQT gets more into the swing of things. So I would hold up to 4 in term 1, 2 or 3 in term 2 and probably just 2 in term 3 - that presupposes that the NQT is finme and on track. All my trainees know that they only need ask and I will set up a meeting. I would discuss this with your mentor and ask if you could have review meetings every 3 weeks or so.
    The Sage