1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Rottweiler...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by GLsghost, Jul 17, 2015.

1. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

...being the font of all knowledge where education-type legislation is concerned...

would you be able to point me in the direction of the citation defining the statutory duty of an employer to refer a teacher to the GTC if they were dismissed in 2008, or resigned in circumstances in which dismissal for GM was likely?

Many thanks!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I remember asking my school's HR officer the same question back in GTC days after we dismissed a teacher for inappropriate conduct with a pupil but no-one could give me chapter and verse at the time.

I'll have a dig around around though and see what I can find.

3. Rott Weiler

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

8.39 The employer of a registered teacher (either the governing body of a school or the local authority, depending on the type of school) must report the facts of the case to the General Teaching Council for England (GTCE) where an employer (Regulation 29 of the General Teaching Council for England (Disciplinary Functions) Regulations 2001 (“the 2001 Regulations”) (as amended)): has ceased to use a registered teacher’s services on grounds relating to their professional incompetence; or might have ceased to use a registered teacher’s services on such a ground had the registered teacher not ceased to provide those services.

That above is from the 2008 version of Guidance on Managing Staff Employment in Schools.

From: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=statutory%20to%20refer%20teacher%20to%20gtc%20if%20dismissed%20from%20a%20school&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QFjAAahUKEwjYk8i22OLGAhWJKtsKHXUhAaw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.education.gov.uk%2Fpublications%2FeOrderingDownload%2F01081-2009DOM-EN.pdf&ei=aTupVZi7LInV7Ab1woTgCg&usg=AFQjCNEfe2rCotNYURh36pAscvDJnMi7Hw

5. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Cor blimey! Is there anything you two don't know?!

6. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Bet they don't know where I put the key to the shed....

7. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Mwah to you all!! xxxxx

I knew it was statutory but couldn't remember the legislation, One day, when I am not pre-occupied with dodgy car dealers (you think I jest... I've done three today alone!) I must get up to speed with education legislation.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I wish you had been around when my daughter was done over by a car dealer GL's g!

9. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Shame there is no sanction of emasculation for the failure to comply with the legislation...

10. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Unfortunately I have also said x 3 to clients today that the chances of actually realising the award of the court is quite slim. Dodgy cars dealers are sadly very expert at avoiding liability. Still, all three qualified for Fee Remission, so it's worth a go at no cost.

11. Rott Weiler

'fraid not. I'll put that with the other great mystery in life I don't know the answer to:

In shops eggs aren't kept in the chiller so why does the package labelling instruct us to keep eggs in the fridge when we get them home?

[​IMG]

12. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Here's another great mystery. How do pan manufacturers get the non-stick coating to stick?