1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Oriel: GTP Personal Statement

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Doof, Apr 10, 2006.

1. I have been sent an application form for Herts Uni to apply for a GTP Secondary History and I have to complete a personal statement explaining why I am applying and my reasons for wanting to teach. I have struggled with these in past applications for PGCE and would appreciate any advice on what to include and how to word it!

2. I have been sent an application form for Herts Uni to apply for a GTP Secondary History and I have to complete a personal statement explaining why I am applying and my reasons for wanting to teach. I have struggled with these in past applications for PGCE and would appreciate any advice on what to include and how to word it!

3. Hi,
    I recently applied for GTP position and spent quite a bit of time on my personal statement. I think its important for it to be formal without being unnatural if you see what I mean. Be yourself, but dont be too relaxed as they are looking for proffesionalism, determination, ambition and dedication to teaching. I included stuff like why i want to teach, my love/interest for my subject, previous teaching/observing experience, why my school might be a good one to train in and basically made my commitment to teaching very obvious. As an English teacher i can tell you it helps to actually make different subheadings, plan it all out in blocks and then put it together in essay form, making sure there is flow between paragraphs. Hope that wasn't too patronizing:) Best of luck!

4. The key to the personal statement is to be clear, articulate and demonstrate the reasons why you want to go into teaching.

It's not enough to say "I want to do it as I get on great with kids" or "I want to ensure that what I've learned is passed on and that the success of these kids ends up being part of the success of the nation".

They won't cut it - nice though they are.

Include : what makes you think you can teach, the experiences you had in a teaching environment (are you a TA etc), how you can bring what you know into the teaching environment and be able to pass that on (for example, did you work as a nuclear physisist and how can that be transfered), the levels you've taught at, relevant qualities (patience, listening ability, ability to communicate effectively, interpersonal relationships - you get the idea).

Next, write it out and get someone else to read it and at the end, ask if they'd take you on as a trainee teacher on the grounds of what you've said. Have someone else read it for spelling, punctuation and grammar.

Rewrite it, get it checked and then copy it onto the application form.

The personal statement is one of the key parts to getting you onto the GTP, you can't afford to blow it.

5. Hi there, I applied for a primary GTP and managed to secure a place. I'm more than happy to mail you my personal statement so you can get an idea. My email is h_merrett2001@yahoo.co.uk

6. I agree its useful to look at other peoples' personal statements to get an idea of what to include - but please don't think that you have to "copy" the content verbatim.

The whole point of a personal statement is that its written by you and its about you. By all means, hang each section on a "coathanger" - much as is suggested in the previous posts...but what the DRB wants to know is whether your personality shines through your writing.

They want to know why you want to teach, what teaching experience you have already had, if any, what you can contribute to a school and what you feel about teaching.

It doesn't have to be pages long, but after it has been read - the DRB wants to feel that they have got to know a bit about you.

Write in the active voice - the passive voice may read well, but it doesn't say what you have done or think. Use real examples to colour your statement - these may come from your own experience of teaching or from watching a good teacher in the classroom.

It is a good idea to get someone else to read it - often you may think you've made a point clearly, but if someone else doesn't get it, then the DRB may not either. Don't assume they know what you mean - explain.

Good luck with you statement and application - hope this has helped. Let me know how you get on.

7. Thanks so much for all your advice. Really appreciate it!

8. Hi all, I'm currently applying for my primary gtp for 2008. I am spending a great deal of time on my personal statement and the advice I have read on this page has already been of great help. The one thing I am finding tricky is how to start the thing! I don't want the first couple of sentences to be boring or the same as everyone else's, I want to grab their attention as (as its already been said) the primary gtp is very very competitive and it really is something I want to do! Can anyone offer any advice? I would really appreciate any comments, many thanks all!

Ellen

9. Hi, im in the same boat as everyone else, would it be possible to get a copy of the cover letter/ personal statement for the GTP process?? if possible it will be greatly appreciated

Kathrine_temperley86@hotmail.com
    Thanks.

10. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter

I would not advise the wholescale sharing of personal statements. It is very easy to use the same form of words, errors and tone. A personal statement is by its nature personal to you and explore your reasons for wanting to train and specifically through an employment based route.
    The prospects.ac website contains areally useful booklet on getting your first teaching job which covers the main considerations.

11. <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

BE WARNED that all GTP applications now go through the TDA website
    which checks for plagiarism. DO NOT SHARE PERSONAL STATEMENTS, you will get
    caught out and both you and the person who gave you their statement will be
    blacklisted.

<font face="Times New Roman" size="1"> </font>

Personal statements are, and should remain, your own work. They
    are the MOST important part of the application process.
    </font>