1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Dear Nicky Morgan - a talented and in-demand teacher has resigned. She will not be the last'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 12, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

There are so many problems with this letter that I'm not surprised this particular teacher resigned, opening with the author's exemplar of the new model headteacher leading their school from chummy meetings with their peers. If a head teacher has not had one sleepless night in a twenty year career then they must live in such meetings and otherwise not be available when their staff need their attention as on the evening of the 11th. I expect that the now unemployed teacher resigned partly because of their sleepless nights and will likely have many to come - this is before we consider those of their ex-colleagues - but what is telling is the letter's apparent lack of empathy and the surfeit of 'I need'.

Makes me want to spit.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  3. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I am sure that many Headteachers realise that something is very wrong with the fragmented Education system in this country. Many of the observations made in the article are not new.

The perspective of trying to run a school, when teacher morale is crumbling is interesting. The school has to try to adapt to key people leaving, some will cope, some will not. Who would want to be a Headteacher?

I think some Heads used to think governments would listen to them. We know that does not happen now.

Mrsmumbles, Lara mfl 05 and Jamietzu like this.
  4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Why is he writing to Nicky Morgan and not apologising to the teacher for not being there, offering to listen and find out if there is something he can do to make this amazing and needed teacher stay?

5. tandemtinker

tandemtinker New commenter

An excellent letter from an obviously experienced and capable head! I fully sympathise with his dilemma! It is the dilemma of the whole primary education, and so many heads have had to yield to the pressures exerted by successive governments over past 15 years. In all my 40+ years in primary schools, we have always tried our best to move children forward.....but over the last few years we are being penalised if we don't PROVE that they've improved!! Education is much more than cramming children to pass SAT examinations......Why oh why, haven't government education departments used a pool of experienced practising headteachers to help set the goalposts and policies? Until this happens, and more realistic targets and workload are agreed then I'm afraid more resignations will occur!

6. drek

drek Star commenter

If it ain't a Hollywood blockbuster and a teacher from a money spinning global teaching farm winning a million dollar prize for making 'teaching' videos, it ain't teaching anymore.
    Like anyone else I wan't to earn a living wage for what I'm doing, but right now I'm a monkey with a collar and the organ grinders holding the leash are the power behind the throne aka dfe

Vince_Ulam likes this.