1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Mr Ofsted

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by moocow82, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Prior to your recent visit I was under the impression I was a good teacher at a good school. Thanks to your useful insight I am now a satisfactory teacher in a satisfactory school. What a difference a day makes!

2. Prior to your recent visit I was under the impression I was a good teacher at a good school. Thanks to your useful insight I am now a satisfactory teacher in a satisfactory school. What a difference a day makes!

3. I know how you must feel, it's happened to me a couple of times. However, it's important to get things in perspective.
    1. Ofsted don't judge you as a teacher. They judge the progress and quality of learning in the lesson they observed. Sometimes when you take chances, or pupils are not playing ball, it just doesn't come off as well as you'd like.
    2. Secondly, what does 'satisfactory' mean? It means that pupils in that lesson made progress that was on the whole in line with what is expected. Is that so bad?
    3. As teachers satisfactory=dysmal failure. When a banker is called in for his annual review and is told that due to his satisfactory performance, he will get a hundred grand as a bonus, do you think he's beating himself up about it? Satisfactory schools, on the whole are satisfactory because their pupils make expected progress and reach average standards. The bar has been raised in the latest framework so it's not unusual to find schools that were previously good are now satisfactory.

4. Thank you for taking the time to be kind