1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Jsmes

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by chica_kernowes, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I am an NQT and in January started my first full time post in year 6 as maternity cover. The school is great and I am really enjoying it, even though it is quite a challenge. I love having my own class and have received really good feedback on a variety of areas.
    Now, another teacher (not the one who I am covering for), has decided to come back to work part time, so I am being given my class for the afternoons and 1 to 1 tuition of the year 6s in the mornings. Will this count towards my NQT? They say that they don't want to lose me, and that they will "make sure" that it counts, I don't want to go anywhere but I need to know that I will get my NQT year done (or at least one full term).
    I am currently employed until 15 March through a supply agency who put the school in touch with me, and after that should go onto a contract but from what they are saying, other people have waited ages for contracts.
    I'm worried about consistency for the class too, this is all changing yet again for them right before the SATs.

Please advise!

Thanks!

2. P.S. Sorry, writing this when I have spent all evening worrying about it and should be in bed! Should have been "Dear James" in the subject heading!

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I'm afraid that only classroom teaching counts towards your induction, so the mornings spent doing 1:1 would not count. However, you are employed, essentially, as a part-time teacher for what amounts to approximately 10 hours per week, which is about 0.5 of an NQT's usual timetable. This counts towards induction, but obviously it'll take twice as long to get a full term to count towards induction, if that makes sense.
    By the way, if you are teaching in the afternoons and are on a contract (i.e. you do all the planning and marking for the class) then you are entitled to PPA time and NQT time for training. Therefore, you shouldn't be doing 1:1 every single morning. At least one morning should be for your planning, prep and NQT training.