1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear John

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Tom_Bennett, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Hi Teacher16. I'm not John, but I hope I'll do.
    To avoid the hands-up situation, simply ignore them when they do. You don't have to take every hands up. In fact, may I even suggest that you simply say, 'Hands down now, we need to move on/ keep working,' etc? I know it's awfully hard at times to ignore hands-up, especially when you've asked them to do so to communicate with you. But it sounds like classic diversionary tactics, to distract you and to avoid working. So grit your teeth and ignore it! And especially ignore anyone shouting out!
    You don't say what kind of sanctions you use for those who continue to talk despite your warnings. Make sure that you have some kind of consequence system in place, otherwise, why should they stop talking? The goodness of their hearts? Take a chair. They need to see that if they disobey you, they'll receive some kind of uncomfortable reward that will deter them in future. Oldest trick in the book.
    Good luck.
    Read more from Tom here on his personal blog, or follow him on Twitter here.

2. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Thank you. Currently I give them a verbal warning and then if they still continue to chat etc they move to amber on the traffic light. If they continue to do what ever it is they should not then they move to red. If they reach red its automatically detention the next day at play time. Although I sometimes think going to amber isnt such a big deal?

3. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

Just a thought ... but you could tell them that they must stand behind their chairs in silence at the beginning and end of every teaching period for a whole minute until they learn to be quiet when asked. Believe me I've done this with Y7 kids and they take ages at first... the point being that if they speak or make a noise they have to start the minute again... be strict about this... even a sneeze and they start again. They might think it seems like great fun when it's the start of the lesson but they'll soon get fed up of standing there trying to be silent at break time so they will most likely get the hang of it pretty soon. You could always use the technique during lessons if they start being too loud at any particular point and assure them that the minute will be taken from the beginning of their break time. When they get to the end of their minute give them lots of praise and tell them they can be good and quiet when they try. You have to be very strict and consistent for this to work but it is very effective. If you feel that they are learning to be quiet when you have asked them to be then make a big deal about how you're so impressed with them now you can stop doing it... and then you have a wonderful 'threat' to keep them quiet, 'Oh no we don't have to go back to standing in silence do we?' Hope this helps... good luck.

4. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Did you do that after each taught lesson if that makes sense?

5. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

I teach secondary so it's a bit different. I did it as they entered the room and as they left it. So they learned that before they could start the lesson they had to be silent and before they could leave the lesson they had to be silent. To be fair the only reason I did it at the end of the lesson was because I knew that the incentive to get it right was much higher when it was cutting into their break or lunch time.