1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear John/Theo - or anyone...

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by rwegointocomputers, May 24, 2011.

1. Evening!

Quick question about maternity pay please.

If I were to start a new job in Sept at a new school how long do I need to have been there to qualify for the full amount of maternity pay (i.e. SMP and OMP)? I have 4 years continuous service in my current LA. My school is becoming an academy from 1st Aug and I think the potential 'new school' is still LA maintained. I know this perhaps a controversial question but I am not 'planning' or 'scheming' just wondering as I have had fertility problems and don't feel I can constantly avoid applying for jobs 'just in case!' if you see what I mean!!

2. Evening!

Quick question about maternity pay please.

If I were to start a new job in Sept at a new school how long do I need to have been there to qualify for the full amount of maternity pay (i.e. SMP and OMP)? I have 4 years continuous service in my current LA. My school is becoming an academy from 1st Aug and I think the potential 'new school' is still LA maintained. I know this perhaps a controversial question but I am not 'planning' or 'scheming' just wondering as I have had fertility problems and don't feel I can constantly avoid applying for jobs 'just in case!' if you see what I mean!!

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You will find the answer here - www.tesfaq.co.uk - or in the Materntiy Matters Handbook found in the resources section of this site.

4. I know this is an old thread but thought I'd askfor advice. My husband and I would really like to start a family, I moved jobs in September due to my husbands relocation for work. I moved LEAs and from a VA school to a VC one. I have read through the part in the burgundy book but am not clear whether my years at the previous school will count as continuous service or not? We are trying to make sure we are as sensible financially as we can be but also don't want to hold off too long. Any advice would be great.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

In terms of maternity entitlement it won't matter as if you were to get pregnant even today you would have worked for 26 weeks prior to the expected due date of your baby, thus be entitled to maternity provisions.

6. Thanks Daisylot x