1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear John: Progression after teaching, youth work and counselling

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Thinkinginspanglish, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Hi there

I have a place to do a Spanish PGCE starting in September. I'm late 20s and I've chosen to go in to teaching for the career options it seems to give me. Though I enjoy Spanish, I did a Joint Honours degree with Sociology and know that I'm interested in the pastoral side too. I know I could move towards being a Head of Year but I wanted to see if anyone knew of people who take this further and moved in to counselling or youth work after teaching and if it's at all common? I know there are Masters that can be done like counselling in education but I'd like to know if it's frowned upon to not being thinking in purely academic terms about your subject.

Any advice welcome, thanks in advance

2. Hi there

I have a place to do a Spanish PGCE starting in September. I'm late 20s and I've chosen to go in to teaching for the career options it seems to give me. Though I enjoy Spanish, I did a Joint Honours degree with Sociology and know that I'm interested in the pastoral side too. I know I could move towards being a Head of Year but I wanted to see if anyone knew of people who take this further and moved in to counselling or youth work after teaching and if it's at all common? I know there are Masters that can be done like counselling in education but I'd like to know if it's frowned upon to not being thinking in purely academic terms about your subject.

Any advice welcome, thanks in advance

3. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I am obviously not John but if you want to get into youth work they do like you to have some sort of youth work degree or masters degree. You could look at this route after your PGCE but if youth work is the route you want to take, wouldn't it be better to go for a Masters in that subject rather than teaching? I believe the fees are the same.

4. purplefizz

purplefizz New commenter

My experiences in Youth Work showed me they valued experience over academic qualifications every time! They were also able to fund staff through training if they wanted to progress. The government are slashing funds for Youth Work currently though (via local government cuts).