1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Joe

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by bego83, Sep 5, 2012.

1. bego83

bego83 New commenter

Dear Joe
    Hi!
    I am writing this to ask for some advice and help. I am 28 year-old overseas trained Secondary modern foreign language teacher, and I really regret having my foreign PGCE validated, in spite of doing it here in the UK -I am not allowed to apply for it because because I already have a qualified teacher status. I have been working as a supply teacher -altough mainly doing cover supervisor roles- for the last two years because I have been unsuccesful in every permanent job that I have applied for (being told many times because I am not UK trained). My question is 'Is there any type of training that I am still allowed to apply for in spite of my qualified teacher status?' I have been even considering doing the PGCE for Primary schools or for Special Educational Needs, is it possible? My goal at the moment is to find a permanent job in Education so I wouldn't mind shifting to a different field.
    Thank you very much in advance,
    Maria

2. dalej

dalej New commenter

Dear Maria,

I suggest you contact your local school of education/PGCE provider and speak to them about your situation and see what they say. You could also get in touch with some local schools and ask if you can shadow some colleagues to gain experience in of all aspects of the UK education system. This should go down well with prospective employers and may have been a stumbling block to date. For example, I know a school where a Spanish native speaker is volunteering as a language assistant as the university suggested he should get more experience of the education system before doing the PGCE with them next year.Would it also be an idea to get references from the schools you have already worked in which should stand you in good stead for the future? Good luck. Joe