1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Joe

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by robmartin1985, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Dear Joe,

I am a prospective secondary MFL teacher currently studying a BA in Modern Language Studies (French and English) with the OU. I alos have an LLB degree with 30 credits of German.

I am considering completing a Certificate in Higher Education in Spanish with the OU after my degree which would take me up to B1 level in the European Framework of langauges. Would this be acceptable for a second langauge when it comes to applying for a PGCE?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated,

Rob

2. dalej

dalej New commenter

Dear Rob,
    I'm sure obtaining this qualification in Spanish will help your PGCE application. Being able to offer French, German and Spanish at different levels will no doubt impress!
    Good luck!

3. Hi Rob,

I too am considering completing an ou degree in modern languages with a view to teaching. So you know if schools rate the ou degree in languages as highly as one from a bricks uni. The ou does not cover literature which I believe is taught at A level. I get the impression with an ou degree in languages graduates will only be able to teach to gcse level? Perhaps you know something about this as you seem to have done some research already?
    Martha Robb

4. steveglover

steveglover New commenter

My sister has just done MFL PGCE at Edgehill-very good course there by the way-and she has been down the OU route for French and Spanish. She is now working and is getting some good appraisals after only a few weeks-she is only teaching up to GCSE level at the moment and would probably not feel confident at a higher level as yet.

5. Many thanks for your post. I am so glad that I have found this website as it is great to be able to find out about other people's experiences.

6. I am a great supporter of the OU and am currently studying my fifthe coures with them. However what I do not understand about the OU MFL BA is that there is no requirement for anything other than a couple of residential courses in the TL country. When I studied for my MFL degree in the 70s it was impossible to graduate without a year abroad. My son has just completed his year abroad, and the speaking assessment he has just been through was based entirely on that experience.
    I also believe that the YA is indispensable not only for gaining experience in depth of using the language but also for cultural understanding, in every sense.
    So how can a degree without the YA experience be an equivalent? The OU is great at encouraging independent learning. My son took level 1 OU courses instead of A2 and they have prepared him wonderfully for study at a bricks uni.