1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dear Joe, trouble with marking the speaking GCSE

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by josefinagj, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Dear Joe,
    I 'm finding marking the edexcel speaking GCSE really hard. The samples offered by the board are insufficient and the marking criteria could lead to different interpretations. This is the first year we have had to mark them under the new specification and I feel I could be jeopardising the students mark by my possible wrong marking!! any advice?
    Thank you
    Josefina

2. Dear Joe,
    I 'm finding marking the edexcel speaking GCSE really hard. The samples offered by the board are insufficient and the marking criteria could lead to different interpretations. This is the first year we have had to mark them under the new specification and I feel I could be jeopardising the students mark by my possible wrong marking!! any advice?
    Thank you
    Josefina

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

Did you/someone in your Dept go to any of the training sessions?

4. I am also having similar bother.
    I contacted EDEXCEL and they said that they do not offer training sessions and that I would have to find locally led training sessions, which I find disgraceful.
    I'm marking my speaking tests to the only thing that they provide which is the marking criteria. I'm going to just have to make sure that I write clear justifications for the marking.
    Thankfully when we had to mark the writing my marks were never changed so I hope that I'll be able to grade the speaking tests successfully
    Good luck

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

They ran a load of training last year - available to all schools who had signed up for teh new spec.
    What, in particular, is the problem? I went to all the training, maybe I can help?

6. Hi Henriette,
    thanks for your replays I have been so busy I didn't even have time to check any answers!
    well it's all marked and gone to the board fro moderation and let's hope for the best! If this year we have done ok i will feel more confident for next year then![​IMG]
    Thanks again
    Josefina