1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Joe - submitting writing assessments - MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jt15, Apr 23, 2011.

1. jt15

jt15 New commenter

<font face="Calibri">It was noted by examiners that over-long pieces often lacked shape, were repetitive or contained a higher incidence of error than those which kept to the recommendation. On the other hand, many candidates struggled to write even 100 words. In some cases, they seem to have memorised a short passage of very good French which they could reproduce under controlled conditions; then their memory failed them and they stopped writing. The maximum mark for Communication and content for a candidate writing the bare minimum of 100 words was six out of fifteen. For those who wrote significantly less than this the maximum was three.</font><font size="3">(Principal Examiner Feedback - French)</font> <font face="Calibri">Extended writing could approach 200 words (and there is no implication for students to go much beyond 200 words) but 125 words is significantly short. A mark of 7-9 for Communication and content requires the candidate to go beyond a minimal response; your student is only just reaching this level. However, your student might have performed well on Knowledge and Application of language and on Accuracy within the 125 words. Examiners will use the full range of marks in these categories, but your student might not, for example, have demonstrated as much evidence of an ability to use a range of complex structures or apply as wide a range of vocabulary and structures as someone who has produced 200 words. This would need to be reflected in the marks.</font><font size="3">(Writing Controlled Assessment Teacher Support Book)</font>

2. Thanks everyone, it's the weaker candidates who either struggled to write over 100 words or wrote over 200 words of repetitive and incorrect language. I'll remark them all using the marks given by jt15 and see what happens! Thanks again [​IMG]

3. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

It can depend on the candidate. I have a 'B' target candidate who is very cunning and savvy when he prepares for a speaking assessment. He knows he has to include a wide range of linguistic structures and then he does so, but he only just goes over the 4 and a half minute mark each time, because he allows for the fact he becomes nervous and can only learn a certain amount of work. He does however produce, faultless, excellent work. I would prefer that to the candidate who produces 6 minutes of linguistically inferior work. I know I am talking about speaking when you asked about writing but the principles are similar.
    MM