1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Joe - manners

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by mpc, Jun 7, 2011.

1. mpc

mpc

Joe,
    When we went out for dinner recently (mini ilic - name dropper, me?), we mentioned that TES forum had become a much nicer place after a period of trolls and general cussedness.
    There have been a few replies this week that have surprised me in their tone I accept that fora like this are to let off steam and that responses are written quickly BUT I can't help coming over all Winnie the Pooh - surely it's more important to be nice than it is to shoot down suggestions/comments in flames?
    Suppose I'm venting too in a way - might just have to escape back to the Twittersphere.
    Best wishes,
    mpc (zaragozalass)

2. mpc

mpc

Joe,
    When we went out for dinner recently (mini ilic - name dropper, me?), we mentioned that TES forum had become a much nicer place after a period of trolls and general cussedness.
    There have been a few replies this week that have surprised me in their tone I accept that fora like this are to let off steam and that responses are written quickly BUT I can't help coming over all Winnie the Pooh - surely it's more important to be nice than it is to shoot down suggestions/comments in flames?
    Suppose I'm venting too in a way - might just have to escape back to the Twittersphere.
    Best wishes,
    mpc (zaragozalass)

3. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

Well, I'm back now! Let the unpleasantness commence. Mwah hah hah haaaaa [​IMG]

4. mpc

mpc

You are a wicked creature but you're not PONDlife...

5. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

I have to say I haven't really noticed any negative replies, to be honest...
    It's true that it's become a lot quieter now on TES, and I think that's a shame. I presumed it was because people were having their discussions elsewhere, but I'm not so sure. Twitter isn't really the place for any kind of in-depth discussion, and mflresources has become a lot quiter too (and there are barely any lingu@net messages these days). I actually wonder if it's the lack of banter on here that has led to it becoming so quiet - I know I don't speak for everyone, but I used to enjoy a good argument with the likes of weirdperson / londomolari back in the day [​IMG]

6. mpc

mpc

I don't object to differences of opinion and I know what you mean about Twitter. My comment was really based on how we should deal with these differences in a slightly more genteel way.
    Really sorry to come across as a stick-in-the-mud (and I know, Martin, that I'm preaching to the converted).
    mpc

7. Sam, you're back! Where have you been? I missed your witty remarks.

8. mpc

mpc

Aarrgghh. Clumsy wording - ie your manners are impeccable - not implying you are a stick in the mud.

9. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

I have just been hither and thither. Lurking behind the bushes, leering at TES and biding my time.

10. Generally the MFL section here is very polite compared to other sections. I used to follow the ICT section for a while, but it's full of trolls, so I don't go near it now. Personally, I don't like the idea of people hiding behind a pseudonym and constantly firing off abuse. I always sign my real name in this forum and in other fora and discussion lists to which I belong. I take a hard line in the Ning that I manage too; I simply don't allow people to join it if they do not declare their real names. Nings are plagued by spammers who try to creep in with pseudonyms, but a Google search usually reveals that their pseudonyms crop up everywhere.
    As for Twitter, I use it almost every day, but it's not the ideal place for expressing complex thoughts. 140 characters are OK for drawing people's attention to a useful website or providing a short answer to a simple question, but it's not easy to engage in sensible debate on Twitter. I use Facebook too, but mainly for keeping in touch with family and friends.
    I manage the ICT4LT blog too. I made a contribution a while back titled "My life online", which may be of interest:
    http://ictforlanguageteachers.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-life-online.html
    Regards
    Graham Davies

11. dalej

dalej New commenter

I agree Graham! Manners are always important be it in online or in face to face discussions. Forums and Twitter are a great way of receiving advice and support for free (particularly pertinent in the present economic situation and with Rarely Cover making it difficult for colleagues to get out of school and go on a course). They also allow colleagues to blow off steam too.
    Some people choose to use pseudonyms because they want to be more informal in what they say, take part in a bit of banter or remain anonymous on a forum because they know it can read by anyone. I think that's fine as long as they are not abusive or make personal comments about posters who are just looking for help / advice for interview preparation etc.The code of conduct and etiquette links here make it clear how users are expected to use the TES forums.
    I agree also Twitter is brilliant for sharing ideas, links, banter etc in real time, and that forums are a better medium for longer, developed discussions. In Twitter, you can also choose who you follow and who follows you back so you can nurture your own network and block people who are rude or unkind. You can also create lists and organise the information coming to you into different streams. TweetDeck is brilliant for that.
    Blogs are also fantastic for reflection and conversations can lead on from posts through comments left by readers.
    At the end of the day, you choose the tool which best suits your needs.
    Here is a clip I made for my keynote at ICT LInks into Languages
    Conference in February based on tweets which answered the question 'What
    does the MFL Twitterati mean to you?' http://blip.tv/joe-dale/what-does-the-mfl-twitterati-mean-to-you-4811517
    It's interesting that the most common theme is support and how much contributors value being part of a dynamic and friendly community. In present times, that is exactly what is needed. We're all in this together as the saying goes
    Joe

12. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

I changed from my name to a pseudonym because other users' names amused me - I really like the name sam enerve! But I agree, that it's a shame if people hide behind a pseudonym. Anyone following my links to resources in posts can easily track down who I am and where I teach. So I'm not really hiding.
    By the way, thanks to Elly for the visit to Leftwich County High - you looked after us really well and I enjoyed seeing everything you do and even meeting a former colleague from my school. This visit was arranged following a reply from Elly to my post on this forum.

13. BrightonEarly

14. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

BrightonEarly, I don't know what you mean, sam enerve is my real name.

15. I used to have a name connected to my staff code but when it was suggested in a staffmeeting that we use the TES forums as a source of information I hastily changed mine to goneunderground (so I could go underground - get it?) ...but subsequently I'm not really sure our staff come on TSE anyway and certainly bar about two or three of them, they have no idea about my other life - so fingers crossed I am still anonymous.
    Mary Cooch
    www.marycooch.com

16. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

:-D

17. BrightonEarly

Oops sorry SmellyEi, just realised I wrote SmellyEll [​IMG]

18. BrightonEarly

And while on the subject of manners - can I also say that I found the pupils at Leftwich County High really courteous.