1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Joe, French teacher thinking of learning Spanish

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by asutherland81, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm currently a fully qualified French teacher doing short term cover / supply whilst looking for a permanent position. I have a basic grasp of Spanish and I'm thinking it would be a good idea to get a formal qualification in it so that I can offer it to any prospective employer. I've looked into doing a GCSE but all providers I've found start their courses in September. Do you think gaining a GCSE in Spanish is the right way to improve my chances of finding a job? If so, do you know of any way I can do this without having to wait until next September to start? Thanks!

2. Hi, I'm currently a fully qualified French teacher doing short term cover / supply whilst looking for a permanent position. I have a basic grasp of Spanish and I'm thinking it would be a good idea to get a formal qualification in it so that I can offer it to any prospective employer. I've looked into doing a GCSE but all providers I've found start their courses in September. Do you think gaining a GCSE in Spanish is the right way to improve my chances of finding a job? If so, do you know of any way I can do this without having to wait until next September to start? Thanks!

3. Have you considered DELE? There is information about that on the Instituto Cervantes website http://londres.cervantes.es/en/default.shtm and they also do some courses online.
    DELE comes in various levels and there are 3 sittings in a year, at various venues. I haven't done any of it myself yet, but I want to improve on my current qualification of GCSE, so I've been seriously considering it.

4. The Open University has put back its cut off date til later in January (sorry can't remember the exact date) for courses starting in February. You may find something suitable for upgrading your Spanish there.

5. dalej

dalej New commenter

Getting a GCSE in Spanish would certainly help your job prospects I'm sure, but I think you may need to wait before you can enroll on a course unfortunately.