1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Joe, Any suggestions for Spanish films for Yr 8/9?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by oldgringo, Apr 10, 2012.

1. It would be great if anybody has suggestions for Spanish language films I could use which are suitable for use with younger students i.e. with appropriate content (so no Almodovar!).
    There seem to be loads of French possibilities, but it's Spanish material I need....
    Thanks

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

what aspect opf your SoW are you trying to cover? Are appropriate films not already written in?

3. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

4. hi geekie, i appreciate your answer...and will now look at those 'threads'!

5. hi henriette,
    thanks for your comment
    SoW is a little 'sketchy' in that it's a yr 9 'enrichment course' with a series of themes which the teacher has to develop into a course-the theme in question - 'story telling' -a lot of freedom, but.....

6. dalej

dalej New commenter

7. hi joe,
    this looks great, and i see that the film 'valentin' is really cheap in a well-known book/dvd online retail outlet....looks like i'm set up now, thanks
    i also came across http://www.starscafe.com/ a spanish retailer which was quick to answer my enquiry email, and seems to offer a wide selection....
    all the best,
    oldgringo

8. I would second Valentin - it is a lovely sweet film. Another good one (though hard to get) is El Ultimo Tren, about some old ex steam train workers who 'train nap' the last steam train in Uruguay and go on the run.

9. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

My Y9s didn't like Valentin at all, they found it really depressing and slow-moving. You could also try Di Que Si (a rom-com with some action that keeps the lads happy) or Manolito Gafotas 1 & 2, they've all gone down well with my Y9s.

10. Casi Casi out of Puerto Rico is loads of fun!

11. mitchellj

mitchellj New commenter

We have used Valentin with Year 8 and Voces Inocentes with Year 9. Both with great success.
    A great help were the resources found on Rachel Hawkes website for both films. The kids really enjoyed the films.