1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon1008, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Please can you explain the proposed changes to an NQT's Induction as I have just read the following and find it confusing.
    '?extending the 16 month limit on short term supply work, to a maximum fixed 5 year period from the point of award of QTS, before having to undertake induction??

Does this mean there will be a time limit where after gaining QTS you MUST complete Induction within 5 yrs or you can never teach again, with QTS being taken away from a qualified teacher ? Where as at the moment there are no such limitations as a teacher can wait for a teaching post as long as they have to as their aren?t that many Induction positions , especially part-time , being advertised?.

Or does it mean that the stupid 16month rule, which is only legal in England, is being abolished so that NQT?s like myself can be available for supply for 5 years?

Thank you in advance.

2. I hope you don't mind my hijacking your thread, because I would like to know this as well.
    Wow, I certainly hope not! Even if I never teach again, I worked hard to get QTS and want to keep it.

3. My understanding (though we must wait for any new proposals and new regulations to be sure) is that the current 16 month rule for NQTs to do supply work without starting induction will be scrapped and, instead, a new 5 year rule put in place where the 5 years starts on the day QTS is awarded. NQTs will be able to take supply work during that period, but at the end of the 5 years they must then have either started induction or can only take a job in a post where induction can be served (currently a job that lasts for at least a term). Thios brings England into line with Wales.
    The Sage