1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by learninginpe, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Hi,

I am going to start my first teaching post on April 16th. I am on a fixed-term contract until August 31st.

Could anybody help regarding how many terms on my NQT year I will be completing? Is it just the summer one? and how many terms need to be completed in total to become a fully qualified teacher?

Thanks

2. Hi,

I am going to start my first teaching post on April 16th. I am on a fixed-term contract until August 31st.

Could anybody help regarding how many terms on my NQT year I will be completing? Is it just the summer one? and how many terms need to be completed in total to become a fully qualified teacher?

Thanks

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You have to be a fully qualified teacher (ie: have QTS) before you can take up an Induction post.
    Starting on 16th April (just after Easter break and finishing work at 31st August constitutes one school term. If you are employed full-time, you will complete one Induction term.
    You need the equivalent of three school terms to complete Induction. They don't have to be consecutive, so an NQT could complete Induction without ever doing the Autumn term, for instance. I did one Spring term and two summer terms.
    Make sure that they register you as an NQT with the LA withing the first week or so of your employment (if not done by the time you start) as Induction cannot be backdated. There have been caes of NQTs finding out at half term that no-one registered them and they lose the first half term for Induction purposes and don't 'bank' any Induction terms if only employed for one school term.

4. What does this mean?

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Most people do their Induction in one school and are assessed at the end of each school term, generating Induction paperwork. The paperwork is lodged with the LA, with the NQT and the school also having a copy. That's what I mean by 'banked'.
    If an NQT is only employed for a term or two (or leaves a permamnet post before the year is up) they will move to their next school with 'banked' terms of Induction if each temporary post lasted for the equivalent of a full-time school term.
    Someone on 0.5 would need to have been employed for 2 school terms in order to complete one Induction term and have it 'banked' at the LA.
    If the NQT is employed on an Induction basis and gets the 10% reduced timetable + observations etc but doesn't manage to complete enough service for an Induction assessment to be made, they will leave with no Induction 'banked' and the time served on an Induction basis will not count towards Induction at all. They will have to re-start that Induction term at the next school thta intends to employ them for at least a term's length.