1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear James

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by SpecialG, Dec 8, 2011.

  1. Hi James, (and others)

    I have a tricky situation I hope you can offer some advice on... it may get a bit long!

    I completed my training in Primary in summer 2010 and having always wanted to work in special schools decided to do a year of TA work in a local special school to build up experience (in Post 16 department) I absolutely loved it, the school was fantastic, the students were brilliant and I enjoyed every minute of it. But I obviously wanted to teach and no vacancies had come up so I decided to apply for a job in a similar school although an hours drive away and an ofsted 'satisfactory' rather than 'outstanding' like the school I worked in as a TA.

    I got the job and have been working in this school (again in Post 16) since September and have been doing well in terms of my NQT targets etc. But I am really not happy there for a variety of reasons. Realistically I would much rather be teaching in primary special, but to be honest anything other than Post 16 as I don't find this my 'natural' way of teaching - i love making links between subjects and working on topics but this is not really possible in the P16 curriculum. I'm also not so enthusiastic about the pupils at this school I think partly due to their ability levels as I generally prefer working with the less able students.

    My old school where I worked as a TA has contacted me today saying that they have a vacancy for as soon as possible in the Key stage 4 group. This has put me in a really tricky situation as I feel so passionately about this school but really do not want to let the school I am at now down. The teacher I currently work with in the p16 department is leaving at christmas and they have already had to get someone in to replace her for January. Also, although I have not yet signed my contract I presume I wouldn't be able to leave the school until easter now? The school with the vacancy is my dream school and I really hope to get a job there some day but I don't know if now is a sensible time career wise. Not only is it awful timing but it is only a 3 term contract whereas the job I am in now is permanent. I just don't know what to do or where I stand in terms of giving notice? I think i'll probably be trying to find a different job for next september anyway so might I as well just give it a go now??

    Sorry for the rambling I have a lot going on in my very tired brain! Hope some of it makes sense... just looking for some impartial advice what should I do??

    Thanks

    G
     
  2. Hi James, (and others)

    I have a tricky situation I hope you can offer some advice on... it may get a bit long!

    I completed my training in Primary in summer 2010 and having always wanted to work in special schools decided to do a year of TA work in a local special school to build up experience (in Post 16 department) I absolutely loved it, the school was fantastic, the students were brilliant and I enjoyed every minute of it. But I obviously wanted to teach and no vacancies had come up so I decided to apply for a job in a similar school although an hours drive away and an ofsted 'satisfactory' rather than 'outstanding' like the school I worked in as a TA.

    I got the job and have been working in this school (again in Post 16) since September and have been doing well in terms of my NQT targets etc. But I am really not happy there for a variety of reasons. Realistically I would much rather be teaching in primary special, but to be honest anything other than Post 16 as I don't find this my 'natural' way of teaching - i love making links between subjects and working on topics but this is not really possible in the P16 curriculum. I'm also not so enthusiastic about the pupils at this school I think partly due to their ability levels as I generally prefer working with the less able students.

    My old school where I worked as a TA has contacted me today saying that they have a vacancy for as soon as possible in the Key stage 4 group. This has put me in a really tricky situation as I feel so passionately about this school but really do not want to let the school I am at now down. The teacher I currently work with in the p16 department is leaving at christmas and they have already had to get someone in to replace her for January. Also, although I have not yet signed my contract I presume I wouldn't be able to leave the school until easter now? The school with the vacancy is my dream school and I really hope to get a job there some day but I don't know if now is a sensible time career wise. Not only is it awful timing but it is only a 3 term contract whereas the job I am in now is permanent. I just don't know what to do or where I stand in terms of giving notice? I think i'll probably be trying to find a different job for next september anyway so might I as well just give it a go now??

    Sorry for the rambling I have a lot going on in my very tired brain! Hope some of it makes sense... just looking for some impartial advice what should I do??

    Thanks

    G
     

Share This Page