1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by CriNW, Jul 18, 2011.

1. On Tuesday was the last day of my placement and the day my uni tutor observed me for the final time as well with my mentor. After the lesson my mentor left us alone for 15 minutes and my tutor started giving me quite good feedback on how much I improved since she observed my at the beginning of my placement. She looked through my files and was very pleased. Then my mentor came in and out of nowhere started saying that the head of the department does not think I am quite ready to be a teacher yet, maybe if I had few more weeks, and that he has to wait for next week for all the teachers to be back from residential and with the ITT coordinator to make up their minds about my report. I spoke to the school coordinator last week before he went on a trip and asked me to come to him if there is any standard he could sign off, such as the one about organising trips that we did together, so there was no issue with him. I am very worried about the next week meeting with the whole bunch of them and I know that the head of department never said anything positive about my performance in the classroom. Any ideas what I could do now and when they call me in? I am quite worried that I might fail, though it was quite the last day for him to tell me that, a bit late... He said he can't deny that my teaching skills have improved a lot, and maybe with few more weeks I would get there... What can I do?
    Thanks for any advice you can give me.

2. On Tuesday was the last day of my placement and the day my uni tutor observed me for the final time as well with my mentor. After the lesson my mentor left us alone for 15 minutes and my tutor started giving me quite good feedback on how much I improved since she observed my at the beginning of my placement. She looked through my files and was very pleased. Then my mentor came in and out of nowhere started saying that the head of the department does not think I am quite ready to be a teacher yet, maybe if I had few more weeks, and that he has to wait for next week for all the teachers to be back from residential and with the ITT coordinator to make up their minds about my report. I spoke to the school coordinator last week before he went on a trip and asked me to come to him if there is any standard he could sign off, such as the one about organising trips that we did together, so there was no issue with him. I am very worried about the next week meeting with the whole bunch of them and I know that the head of department never said anything positive about my performance in the classroom. Any ideas what I could do now and when they call me in? I am quite worried that I might fail, though it was quite the last day for him to tell me that, a bit late... He said he can't deny that my teaching skills have improved a lot, and maybe with few more weeks I would get there... What can I do?
    Thanks for any advice you can give me.

3. That sounds very stressful!

The same thing happened to me last year. My mentor decided I needed another term although had been telling me how well I was doing the whole placement. He were worried because the stress of teaching, marking and doing interviews seemed to be affecting me! He could not, however, show any standard that I had not successfully completed, and was told by my university that his fears were unfounded.

Unless a Mentor puts you as a cause for concern during your placement and gives you the support you need to improve you cant be failed.(or so I have been told) It is also really important that your Mentor realises that you don't have to be the finished product yet, just a capable one. The NQT year is about refining what you do well and working on what needs improving.

4. Thanks for your reply and encouragement. I am going tomorrow to find out about the outcome. My heart started beating like hell. Thanks again.