1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by terri1972, Apr 14, 2011.

1. terri1972

terri1972 New commenter

Hi. I am an NQT applying for a job. The letter states that all teachers at the school have subject responsibility and asks to state subject expertise/interest and "if appropriate the willingness to take on something new (unless an NQT)".
    I am quite keen to take on a subject at some point, but my questions are these:
    1. Can I take on a subject as an NQT?
    2. Does this subject responsibility mean the same as TLR?
    Thankyou
    Terri

2. terri1972

terri1972 New commenter

Hi. I am an NQT applying for a job. The letter states that all teachers at the school have subject responsibility and asks to state subject expertise/interest and "if appropriate the willingness to take on something new (unless an NQT)".
    I am quite keen to take on a subject at some point, but my questions are these:
    1. Can I take on a subject as an NQT?
    2. Does this subject responsibility mean the same as TLR?
    Thankyou
    Terri

3. 1. Can I take on a subject as an NQT?
    You can but are not obliged nor recommended to, as NQTs are protected from this additonal repsonsiblity - I would take this if I were you as carte blanche to focus solely on your teaching!
    2. Does this subject responsibility mean the same as TLR? NO if only!!!

4. terri1972

terri1972 New commenter

Thanks Miss Pious - great advice.
    What does a TLR entail then please? Does that mean like a subject co-ordinator? (Won't take a subject on next year now I know ;0) - while I can get away with it then!!)
    Thanks again
    Terri