1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Ula_B, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Hi

I am an oversees trained teacher. I gained my undergraduate qualifications in teaching English Language and Literature as well as Translation and Interpretation in Poland, about four years ago. Since coming to England I have worked in all sorts of different places. Currently I am a website translator and developer for a small wholesaler. I am also finishing my MA Degree in English Language and Literature at The University of Sheffield. I have attained a QTS last year and according to the GTC I should be seen as a home trained teacher (since my BA Degree has been completed in Poland). For the past year I have been applying for all sorts of teaching jobs, both full time and temporary and on several different levels. I can teach any year including English Lang/Lit on a secondary level, however I have not even had a callback from anyone. When I tried registering with some teaching agencies I was told I need six weeks of UK experience minimum in order to be on their books. On my QTS it states I am exempt from serving the statutory induction period, as I have already served it in Poland. The jobs I applied for were mainly for NQTs and therefore did not require years of experience. I have even spoken to an adviser from the Sheffield City Council and they assured me that my qualifications are sufficient to start work as a teacher.

I would like to know what do you think about this and if there is anything here that I might be missing? I would love to go back into teaching, the only thing is, I cannot afford to do supply (unless it's for minimum one full term).
    Any advice will be much appreciated.

Ula

2. Hi

I am an oversees trained teacher. I gained my undergraduate qualifications in teaching English Language and Literature as well as Translation and Interpretation in Poland, about four years ago. Since coming to England I have worked in all sorts of different places. Currently I am a website translator and developer for a small wholesaler. I am also finishing my MA Degree in English Language and Literature at The University of Sheffield. I have attained a QTS last year and according to the GTC I should be seen as a home trained teacher (since my BA Degree has been completed in Poland). For the past year I have been applying for all sorts of teaching jobs, both full time and temporary and on several different levels. I can teach any year including English Lang/Lit on a secondary level, however I have not even had a callback from anyone. When I tried registering with some teaching agencies I was told I need six weeks of UK experience minimum in order to be on their books. On my QTS it states I am exempt from serving the statutory induction period, as I have already served it in Poland. The jobs I applied for were mainly for NQTs and therefore did not require years of experience. I have even spoken to an adviser from the Sheffield City Council and they assured me that my qualifications are sufficient to start work as a teacher.

I would like to know what do you think about this and if there is anything here that I might be missing? I would love to go back into teaching, the only thing is, I cannot afford to do supply (unless it's for minimum one full term).
    Any advice will be much appreciated.

Ula

3. The fact that English isn't your first language may be an issue here. Remember you will be teaching English to those whose first language is English. Would a Polish school readily employ an Englishman or woman who is qualified to teach Polish, but studied as a second or even a third language, rather than a home-grown Polish teacher? You would stand a better chance if you were to teach MFL like French or German - you would be teaching it as a foreign language to English speakers, so your first language doesn't matter so much.
    I don't know what to suggest. As an EU-qualified teacher, your QTS was automatic without any further training or assessment, but it doesn't mean you are of the same ability and calibre as those who were trained to teach Secondary English through UK PGCE. Don't get me wrong - I'm not suggesting you aren't up to scratch or a poor teacher, but when it comes to teaching the native language, native speakers always get chosen first, and there's a lot of competition for English posts. If you can get supply, I'd take it.