1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by hioannidis, Feb 11, 2011.

1. All training providers have now been given allocations of places for funded courses, but they still need to work out overall figures, as they also have unfunded places for EU and overseas students etc. But your course provider should be getting that sorted and start confirming offers made subject to government announcement.

2. Hi. The document is correct and we got the basic numbers last well. To illustrate what we need to do, I'll use my own case as an example. Our science numbers were cut by 20 percent. But within that the government now separates science into it's constituent subjects. So, I have to look not only at a number overall but split that into subjects. Then we have to match those we have already interviewed to the numbers I have. If there are more provisional offers in a subject than we have places I then have to review all the applications to see if people are suited to another subject. Then we have to look at staffing and match staff expertise to what we can now offer although as yet we have no idea about the unit of funding that goes with each place. Finally we have to rewrite our offer letters to match the changes in the bursaries (a lesser problem for sciences but a big problem for others). In subjects like geography it may well be the case that the allocated number does not make a viable cohort (universities have to look and see what the minimum number of places they can sustain - but given that we have not been told how much each place attracts in funding that is very much a guess base d on th curre nt situation). If a course is deemed to be unsustainable a decision has to be made about whether the course is cut or run at a loss (the unite risky in the current climate is very hard on septa that are losing money). So it is possible that over the past week unis have been in negotiation with nearby institutions to see if there can be a swap of numbers tha t will maintain a course with an increase in numbers. Then they have to look at how/when they contact students to let them know about courses cut or possible arrangements with other providers. All in all, a w eel or so is a very short time. Where the situation is much le ss complicated then letters are going as fast as we can produce them, but in some. C sae s it does take a bit longer. None of us, I can assure you, want our potential trainees left in the dark for long. But we have had 8 months of uncertainty and rumour and just 7 working days of clarity over numbers - but still nothing about whether the funding for us will be cut. It is frustrating. I know, but also remember that as well as sorting all this out we still have a duty to provide for our current students. James

3. Sorry about the lack of paragraphs and odd spelling of some words - I used my iPad and something odd happened...
    James

4. Thank you for your time to explain it to me. My course had 13 places last year and now has 7 so I can be prepared that my conditional offer could be lost all together. They have contacted us via email to see if we could take up the course without the bursary and I have replied yes to that. I suppose with all you mentioned above the end of the month seems like a realistic time frame to be told!