1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by u7h46, Jan 29, 2011.

1. I am currently doing a Primary PGCE course, however I have had to take a week out of placement due to feeling incredibly ill and both physically and mentally exhausted. I would have been back in school for the next two weeks in order to complete the placement.
    I have met with my university tutor who has suggested I could get a medical certificate, take the next two weeks off to get myself back on track and then re-do the placement in the summer, and then do the summer placement in autumn.
    Having had a few days break I feel better already and am wondering if it would be better to follow this advice or see if I can return to school and just complete the next two weeks anyway?
    If I take these two weeks off, would me finishing the course later than I should have any impact upon my employability (apart form the fact that I obviously won't get a job until later)?
    Thanks, any advice appreciated.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

If you can (but not at the detriment of your health!) finish ASAP. There are very few jobs that come up for Jan start so it will be harder to find a post. Can you not tack any time onto your last placement? We finished a good few weeks before schools did? xx

3. Hi
    If there are no other issues than getting your required number of days in school it would be better to try and negotiate an extension to the placement so that you complete this academic year. It seems odd to recommend doing a whole placement over for the sake of 10 days. If you are mnaking good progress, you are not a cause for concern then it seems a bit harsh to recommend this option.
    Also be aware that a return next academic year may well result in extra fee payments and possibly no bursary if it is all used this academic year.
    Do talk through all the opitons and consequences with your tutor.
    James

4. Thanks for the reply. I have spoken to my tutor and have decided I am going back into school this week. Then I can make up extra time else where as necessary.