1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by GRoberts68, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I'm currently half way through my Maths PGCE and I'm studying in Manchester. I plan to move to London over the summer but don't knoe much about the different LA's. So my first question would be whether you could advise of any LA's that offer good support to NQT's and generally have good schools. In the same way are their any LA's that notoriously have many schools with behavioural problems? I appreciate each LA will have a range of different schools but I would value any advice you can offer. I'm very flexible on where I can work in London.
    Secondly, I'd like to ask about NQT pools. I am aware that the teaching recruitment process differs to other industries in that you are expected to take the job when offered. Does the same thing apply for NQT pools. I'm concerned I could apply for a jobs pool in an LA that has many good schools and then find they offer a job in a notoriously bad school which I would be expected to accept. Also if this is the case do LA's use jobs pools as a means of filling positions that would normally be difficult to fill?
    The idea of an NQT pool does appeal because it should reduce the number of expensive trips from Manchester to London for interviews. That said, I dont want to end up in a school I'm not happy in because I'm expected to accept a job offer for any school in the LA.

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

An NQT pool does not mean that you are instantly offered jobs and then have to accept (in my experience in SE London, anyway). You will still be expected to apply to schools and/or go through the interview process in each school. So if you were approached with an offer of an interview in a school based on your pool application, you would be well within your rights to decline the interview if you didn't like the school.
    Equally, you do not have to accept a job if offered, although I believe it is in bad taste if you are asked, in the interview, if you would accept if offered and say yes, only to then turn round and decline. On the same note, if you accept a job and then get a better offer, you have already verbally accepted and therefore should not then call and say you no longer want the first job.
    As for the different LAs in London, you will find they all have plus and minus points, "good" and "bad" schools. What matters is finding a school you like. If you live near several LAs, then apply for as many NQT pools as you can. If you're religious, there are also diocese pools etc. you can apply to. Do bear in mind, though, that some LAs are Inner London and some are Outer London; this affects your pay, as Inner London get more weighting. So choose an area of London you like, would be my advice.