1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by breezyboy, Jan 5, 2011.

1. <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post"><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">I am employed as a cover supervisor for a member of staff who has been off since september, I soley cover his lessons and form group. I am an NQT and keen to complete my NQT year. The school agreed that i could do my first term (Sept to Dec) NQT which i completed and have been signed off for.
    I have heard that you cannot complete your NQT year as a cover supervisor and that the school should be paying Main Pay Scale as i have not received any cover work and have planed and marked all the work myself.
    Any Advice would be well received.
    </td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

2. <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post"><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">I am employed as a cover supervisor for a member of staff who has been off since september, I soley cover his lessons and form group. I am an NQT and keen to complete my NQT year. The school agreed that i could do my first term (Sept to Dec) NQT which i completed and have been signed off for.
    I have heard that you cannot complete your NQT year as a cover supervisor and that the school should be paying Main Pay Scale as i have not received any cover work and have planed and marked all the work myself.
    Any Advice would be well received.
    </td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

For induction you need to be employed as an NQT. You should therefore be paid as such. James may have more info but I'd speak to your union. Has the paperwork been completed and sent to your LA? x

4. Hi
    Cover supervisor work does not qualify for induction, however your post seems to have been changed from cover to long term supply teaching. The key thing is to know if the schoool registered you with the LA as a cover teacher working for at least a term. It is the LA only who can agree that a post qualifies for induction. If you are on induction and registered with the LA as a teacher on induction then the school must pay you on the QTS scale, again they have no choice in this matter as you are employed as a teacher and, as you have QTS you must be paid on the qualifued rate.
    So, what ypou need to do:
    1. Ask the school if you have been registered with the Local Authority as a NQT on induction.
    If they are evasive, don't know, cannot say yes etc. then
    2. Contact the LA and ask to speak to the person who oversees induction and ask them the same question. If you are registered on induction and the LA confirm this then the school owes you money as you should have been paid as a minimum on M1 of the qualified scale.
    If the school and LA say that you have not been registered on induction then the time you have spent will not cvount and it cannot be backdated. The school also will have no obligation to pay yopu on the qualifued scale as you were contracted to be a cover supervisor - the fact you did the teacher's job is thewir gain and your loss
    3. You may wish to contact you union for help and advice if answers are not forthcoming or the school tries not to pay you on M1 even though you are employed as a teacher (some heads are not very clear about employment law and misunderstand it).
    The most important thing to sort first of all is if you have been registered as a NQT with the LA if the answer to that is yes then the rest will be sorted (pay etc.) and you should not have to fight for it as it is a statutory right not discretionary.
    James

5. I should have added that if you are registered for induction then the school should be providing you with a 10% reduction in your teaching timetable (in addition to the 10% PPA that all teachers must have). If you have taken over a full timetable from a qualified (non induction) teacher then there should have been a reduction in your timetable. If this has not been applied then this is against the statutory NQT guidance.
    James