1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Trendy Art, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

The assessment points are generic, so if you want to teach a science based lesson using a story to drive home the concept, then choose a book that reflects this.
    E.g. if you look at Eric Carle's The Hungry Caterpillar then you could do a lesson that looks at healthy eating, maybe question what the students have eaten for breakfast, ask for their contributions and then write a new story based on this.
    30 mins is not long. Show at your interview that you are well prepared with resources that will give you the confidence to structure the lesson.
    Happy new year!

2. Hi Stacey
    All the criteria listed can be met with a science based activity. Don't forget that every science lesson is also a literacy lesson. The language of science is very important and getting children to engage with science words and understand that these words may have particular meanings in a science context is important. Often words may have two or three meanings e.g conductor (think of bus, electricity, heat and orchestra). So the context of the words is important.

There are lots of ways of taking stories and looking at the science angle e.g stories about food think of nutrition. Stories about growing things think of photosynthesis etc.

Good luck.

James

3. Thank you to both of you!
    I knew deep down that the criteria were generic but I was starting to think too deeply, the more I panic the less I doubt my ability to do anything (including being able to remember my own name or tie my shoelaces!).
    I know I can do this, I have lots of ideas and that might be the problem really, too many ideas for a 30 minute session and I need to make sure that the ideas that I choose all link and fit together to make a 30 minute lesson with some wow!
    I am going to sit down today and sketch out some of my ideas, I know how I want to include the story and as I won't have time to read one during the lesson I think I have an interesting way in which to introduce it.

4. My year 1 daughter did a science project on materials based on the story of the three little pigs. The children were able to explore different materials for building the houses.
    They got to choose different materials (straws, bricks, card, paper, stones, twigs, etc) and then had hairdryers to see whose house would stay up the best.
    They then wrote a letter/drew a picture to the pig to tell them about their houses.