1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James,

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by balloon_parade, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Hello James,

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

I have a quick question of which a rather long back story is required to
    answer. I do apologise for the length of this post.

I started my degree in 2006 in BA (HONS) Primary Teaching (QTS) at Edge Hill
    University, I then became pregnant in my first year, I took a year out and
    returned in 2008 to start my second year, and I then became pregnant again. I
    continued the year and took no more academic time off. During my third year I
    decided to drop QTS as looking after two young children and completing such a challenging degree was all too much.

I have just graduated and now the dust has settled I still have the burning
    desire to teach, I am very worried that my application to any route to
    further training will be discounted and rejected as bad news. I have contacted
    my university and I have support if a letter of exceptional circumstances is
    required.

I am currently working part time in a children's centre and also from
    September I will be volunteering in the special school it is adjoined to, this
    is to keep my mind in school mode and I am also gaining training in very relevant
    courses through my new job.

Overall, I would like to know if it is worth applying for 2011 entry
    of either PGCE or GTP. I know it is ridiculously competitive so I just wanted
    to know if I even stand a chance from the off?

Thank you for your time.

Hannah.

P.S, no there are no more pregnancies in my future, full stop!

So, my question is, is it worth applying for GTP or PGCE or am I already bad news?

2. I'd say your perseverance clearly demonstrates your commitment to teaching, and should put you in a strong position to go for a QTS course. Your previous inability to gain QTS was to do with your personal circumstances, unrelated to your dedication to teaching or suitability. Yes, primary PGCE/GTP is very competitive, and providers would rather give a place to someone who will do everything to complete the course than somebody who is likely to quit at the first sign of difficulty or trouble. Your experience is good but try to get at least 2 weeks in a mainstream primary school, to enable you to speak positively about your findings and reflection when called for an interview. Do prepare a first-rate personal statement clearly describing your love for and dedication to primary teaching.
    Best of luck!

3. Either route is open to you and provided you make sure that your statement in support details why you decided to not do the QTS year then your post degree work should be good evidence of your desire and committment to teaching. I have taken on two students over the years who have similar backgrounds - they did an education degree but not the QTS bit. Both were successful.
    James

4. Hello

I just wanted to let you know that I followed the advice given and I am now starting a PGCE Lower Primary at the University of Cumbria this September. It can be done!

Thank you!

Hannah.

5. Good to hear.
    Best of luck!