1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - will failed observation affect my career?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by bumblenqt, Jan 20, 2011.

1. I passed my first term observation but failed one today. School is fantastic, mentor very supportive and I know exactly why my observation was unsatisfactory and agree completely. I fully intend to turn this around but am worried that this will always be a blot on my record. Do people get unsatisfactory on an observation and go on to be good teachers?? Obviously I am feeling rather emotional and fragile at present but am really worried that I will never be able to shake off the stigma of being a failure.

Thank you.

2. I passed my first term observation but failed one today. School is fantastic, mentor very supportive and I know exactly why my observation was unsatisfactory and agree completely. I fully intend to turn this around but am worried that this will always be a blot on my record. Do people get unsatisfactory on an observation and go on to be good teachers?? Obviously I am feeling rather emotional and fragile at present but am really worried that I will never be able to shake off the stigma of being a failure.

Thank you.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Of course they do! Its a glitch, even the best teachers have bad days. Its good to har you have a supportive mentor & school, thats the main thing. Good luck, you'll be fine x

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The induction is based upon a series of observations and a formal review of your overall progress, this is because everyone has an off day and it is your overall progress towards meeting core standards by the end of induction that counts. One bad obs is not a failure.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Good Heavens yes they do go on to become good teachers...or even better.

There are times when you could come to my class and see a really naff lesson, but I'm (apparently) a good teacher. In my first year there were many terrible lessons. I cringe even now when I remember some of them.

Ask your mentor to do a second observation in a couple of weeks when you are feeling more on top of things and make sure it is fabulous. You'll be fine.

6. Don't panic! Remember that an observation is just a very small snapshot of what you are really like as a teacher. Just because you manage to cobble together an outstanding performance for OFSTED doesn't mean every single lesson you teach is outstanding. Equally just because you have one hiccup doesn't mean every lesson is awful. Just make sure you act on the advice you received and don't let it knock your confidence. I would suggest give it a couple of weeks then ask your mentor to observe you again even if you aren't due an observation. Even if she isn't adding it your official observations it will make you feel better to know she/he has seen you doing a better job.

Remember it's a marathon, not a sprint!

7. Thanks for the comments everyone. Feel much better now tho rather ashamed and it was hard going into my first lesson yesterday as it has knocked my confidence. I've got an observation next week on another group anyway so had a go at some of the suggested techniques on them yesterday (I failed on behaviour management) and instead of the expected riot when I made them all move, I had a few grumbles and an attentive class :)

8. One observation is a tiny snapshot of you as a teacher and we all have off days - we have all taught inadequate lessons and you will have excellent lessons and poor lessons in the years to come. One observation will not affect your whole career. Induction should not be about just the odd observation - it should be a process that looks in the round at all the things you have to do as a teacher. Just learn from the experience - reflect identify how you would change the lesson to make it more successful and that in itself is helping to meet the induction standards.
    James