1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James: What happens when you've completed induction?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon874, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Hi
    I'm due to complete induction at the end of this term and it got me wondering - what actually happens?
    I've got a certificate saying I've been recommended for QTS after I completed my training - will I get another one to say I've passed my induction?
    Do schools just assume if you're not an NQT you know everything already and don't need any support or do they still offer reasonable guidence and training? I'm worried when I've completed induction they'll just forget about my and I'll stagnate! I know there is CPD but schools don't seem to be able to afford it and if they can, they pretend they can't!

Thanks

2. Hi
    I'm due to complete induction at the end of this term and it got me wondering - what actually happens?
    I've got a certificate saying I've been recommended for QTS after I completed my training - will I get another one to say I've passed my induction?
    Do schools just assume if you're not an NQT you know everything already and don't need any support or do they still offer reasonable guidence and training? I'm worried when I've completed induction they'll just forget about my and I'll stagnate! I know there is CPD but schools don't seem to be able to afford it and if they can, they pretend they can't!

Thanks

3. Once complete, the local authority with sign you off and yes you'll receive another certificate. CPD should continue throughout your career, just as the title says, "continuous professional development". The ownous for keeping CPD up to date is with the teacher, but the quality of what is on offer varies massively between schools. It's not always about going out on courses. There will be a massive skills base in the school you work in and if you know of colleagues who have a particular skill - seek them out, maybe ask to observe their practice. It's about keeping your subject knowledge up to date, changes in exam board specifications and developments in pedagogy. Once out of your NQT year, you will begin your first cycle of performance management. This is an opportunity to set targets for your development at the start of the year and review how you get on throughout the year (with your line manager). Performance management meetings are your opportunity to discuss CPD needs and if your needs are linked to a particular course, you would have valid reason to suggest going on it. Hope that helps ;-)