1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James- What do you think the likely hood is of attaining a place for PGCE if on waiting list

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Ktsum, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Dear James,
    I applied and went for an interview for a PGCE course in Jan.
    I was sent a letter of intent stating they wished to offer me a space, but had to wait for the funding and place allocation to be released. So my application was put on hold.
    However, the course was cut by 40% and I am now in the position where they are no longer able to make me an offer.
    All my other choices are now full.
    I am on the waiting list for said course
    What do you think the likely hood is of the course receiving more spaces (such as other courses shutting down etc...) I heard they can apply for more?
    Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as you can imagine I am absolutely devastated.

2. Dear James,
    I applied and went for an interview for a PGCE course in Jan.
    I was sent a letter of intent stating they wished to offer me a space, but had to wait for the funding and place allocation to be released. So my application was put on hold.
    However, the course was cut by 40% and I am now in the position where they are no longer able to make me an offer.
    All my other choices are now full.
    I am on the waiting list for said course
    What do you think the likely hood is of the course receiving more spaces (such as other courses shutting down etc...) I heard they can apply for more?
    Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as you can imagine I am absolutely devastated.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Can you do a flexible course? May be easier and a number of people do drop out so may be able to start next Jan if they offer it? x

4. Hi
    I'm afraid that you are a victinm of the sudden cuts in places. It is still early days and providers are doing some 'horse trading' of places with each other to make viable cohorts from the low numbers we were allocated by the TDA. Others will still be in the position of making tough choices over whether to hand back places to the TDA fopr courses that are no longer viable. These places may well be re-distributed but exactly where and when is anybody's guess.
    The TDA is allowing some vital subjects to ask for more places (e.g. chemistry, physics and maths) but these will come with severe penalties if a provider requests more places anbd then does not fill them.
    GTTR does have a clearing system for those who fail to gain a place, but with reduced numbers clearing places may welkl be very tight as well.
    It is devastating, but perhaps, if you talk to the provider they could see about setting up alist of people who have missed a place this yhear with a view to encouraging early applications for 2012-13 - yes it does delay entry by one year but in the meantime you could gain extra experience and understake preparatory work to make your time on the PGCE even more effective.
    James