1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dear james - wedding questions

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sdouglas88, Jan 13, 2011.

1. im currently doing my teacher training and everything is going great, however with job hunting coming up im a little worried about my wedding and honeymoon which were both booked well before i thought about becomeing a teacher as the honeymoon is booked for the 14th of sept for a week!!!, im concerned that this is going to make it even harder to get a job once my training has finished since it would mean id miss a week of school right at the start of term. am i right in thinking this is going to hurt my chances??

2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I think it would be highly unlikely that a new school would employ someone who then wanted a week holiday during term time. However, mention it in a covering letter or interview and it will be at the governors' discretion. You never know, they might agree to give you a week of unpaid leave. It sounds unlikely to me, though! You might be better off doing a term of supply, if possible, and apply for an NQT post from January.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

You can do supply as an NQT but for a maximum of 16 months (from the first day, even if you only do one day you won't be able to do any more supply after 16 months without an extension from LA)
    Personally I'd try and find a job. I don't know what your subject is but there has only been one advertised in my subject and area this year so far (I don't have a post at the moment so have started up my own design business)
    When is the final payment due on your Honeymoon? Would you move it if you got offered a post? Financially this would be your best bet as supply is not guaranteed and it would give you better security. Personally I'd try not to worry to much until your in that position. Just enjoy planning your wedding day, get applying for jobs and see what happens at interviews.
    Congratulations by the way! Let me know if you want invites making [​IMG] I don't double costs just because the word wedding is mentioned lol. xx

4. Hi
    There is no real answer to this. It really is up the kind generosity of the potential employer. Some will be very understanding and may be kind and nice and allow you to start a little late, otheers may be hard nosed and either you start when the rest of schools starts or they will find someone else.
    I guess unless you look for jobs, put in applications and see what happens you won't really know. But congratulations. Whatever the outcome do not let it spoil a wonderful day/honeymoon.
    James