1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James, WBBA strike advice

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by luv2teach6, Nov 25, 2011.

1. luv2teach6

luv2teach6 New commenter

I am employed as an unqualified teacher and am doing a work based primary education course. Therefore, I am both employed and paying into the teachers pension scheme. I understand that student teachers are being advised not to strike as they are not employed and do not pay into the pension scheme but as my position is somewhat different I am confused as to what I should do on the 30th.

My uni does not know how to advise me so I wondered what you would advise?

2. Call your union. ATL emailed me today saying some employment-based students were eligible to strike.

3. If your union is strinking, you should too.

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Not true Alec2005,when I was a student I was in both the ATL and the NUT and was told I couldn't stike as I wasn't employed.
    I would imagine the OP could strike though.

5. Not talking about student teachers. OP is an unqualified teacher employed in a school. Totally different situation.

6. As an employee, if you are not in a union that has called a strike then you would be required to work. If there is a picket line you must exercise your own judgement as to whether or not you cross the line, if you choose not to cross then your employer could be entitled to deduct wages for missed work.
    If you are in a union then you should seek advice from them directly so call and ask what their advice is and how you can, if necessary access a strike fund if your pay is docked, but you are unable to sustain the loss.
    James

7. H26714

H26714 New commenter

Not true. Whilst many people are striking it doesn't mean everyone should. Some people cannot strike, despite wanting to. To say that you should strike, just because your union is, is absurd.

8. If you are paid-up member of a teaching union (not talking about student teacher but qualified or unqualified teacher), and by democratic strike vote they decide to strike, what do you do? Cross the picket line? Do the job of your striking colleague?

9. luv2teach6

luv2teach6 New commenter

Thanks for all of the advice. I have decided to strike as I pay a teachers pension and will soon be a fully qualified teacher and although I am a student, I am employed on a full time contract in my school.

My head is supporting me in this and is also striking.