1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James: Urgent advice needed- Half term short of induction

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by miss_moneypenny, May 28, 2011.

1. There is a possibility to shorten induction by up to 29 days, provided that all the Core standards are met and that you're on a time limited contract, not enabling you to complete Induction in one school. That's what happened for me, and from what I understand, that would apply to you as well, so see with your mentor, head and LEA!

2. Hi
    You need to talk to the LA NQT adviser and work out the number of days on induction completed by October half term. It is possibe for the LA in exceptional circumstances (and this could be the case for you- but only the LA can confirm) to reduce induction by up to 29 days provided you have met all the standards in full by October half term.
    If the school could extend your contract by one half term then there would be no issue, if they cannot and you are either not granted a reduction or the reduction would be more than 29 days then it would mean having to complete a further term in a different school.
    As for your questions:
    1. If you have agreed to the contract extension or you ahve signed a new contract to end in October then you would have to consult the contract to see what the notic period for you is. On a permanent or one year contract normally it is usual for the resignation dates to be October, Feb and May (end of).
    As this is a maternity cover it is possible that the contract species a shorter notice period to allow flexibility foer the school to end your contract when the person on leave decides to return.
    2. yes they can employ you as it could be seen as continuous employment on induction rather than on supply.
    3. If your shortfall is 7 weeks or 35 days then induction cannot be shortened, only if it is 29 days or less.
    Another possibility would be to ask the LA and school if the contract could be extended by just 2 weeks and if a reduction could then be granted. It would be such a shame to have to do a full oner term more for the sake of just two weeks.
    James

3. Thanks for the advice James and Miss Moneypenny.
    I'll get on to the LA as soon as the bank holiday is over.
    I think I was just in a bit of a panic on Saturday- the head teacher came to tell me this at 4.30pm on the last day of half term so a lot of people had already gone home and I didn't have a chance to talk it over with anyone. I feel a bit calmer about it all now! Thanks again.

4. I was in a similar position in my NQT year. I got round it by negotiating with the HT by insisting he employed me until Christmas, even if it was as general cover. As it was when the teacher came back another in the Humanities faculty went off with stress so I covered her.