1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James..... unable to get sec. school observation.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sophisticated11, Jun 14, 2011.

1. i received a conditional offer to the PGCE chemistry course in april 2011 and the condition was that i spend 3 days observing lessons in a secondary school. The deadline for this observation is 30/06/2011. i thought this was an easy condition but since then i have tried unsuccessfully to get a place at a sec school in my area, some of the schools don't bother to reply while the few that replied said they were already filled with PGCE students and too busy. i have visited several schools and hand delivered the letters and i have even email a few teachers. i didn't school in the uk so i don't have the option of going back to my old sec. school for school experience.
    i don't know what to do as i don't want to loose my admission. can i go back to the university and ask them to reconsider the condition? if my application is rejected can i go back to the gttr and ask them to send my applicationt to my next choice even though i have already accepted my first choice(conditional offer) and its quite late. i have however been able to get 2 appointments for observation in 2 primary schools (they asked us to also get primary experience) and i was wondering if my primary school experience would do instead of sec.school observation.
    please advice. thank you.

2. Hi
    I think that the first thing you should do would be to contact your first choice provider; they may have schools who could take you. Also if you have transport look a bit further afield. It is difficult in secondary at this time of year with exams and transition days for yr7. However I wouldn't stress too much,, if you have evidence of trying to get a placement they may well be ok with you fitting a couple of days in at the start of september term or even vary the condition. Most uni's are very supportive and understanding - it's hard to get placements even for students on the course.
    Good luck with the PGCE

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Check with the provider perhaps they can suggest schools to contact otherwise target local Training schools -you could also try TDA whoare meant to have a list of schools who can offer teaching advocacy??.

4. See this thread in 'Prospective Student Teachers':
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/496838.aspx
    But in short, I'd phone rather than write/email (all too easy for the important person to ignore/not receive). Also in that thread is the TDA page where they will be able to organise a school visit for you for chemistry.

5. hummi7883

hummi7883 New commenter

Hi
    I sent atleast 50 emails with same content and spent a whole day doing this.....i managed to get in at one and m now working as an LSA there n having a wonderful experience before september(i too have a place but hv english test to give!!)
    I dont know which part u live in but in london i dont think it wouldbe that hard to find observation.
    Best advise ...call TDA and they will arrangefor u one day observation,and while u are there ask them to let u come in two moredays..?whatsay?

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We are getting lots of requests at the moment for people wanting to do a few days or a week or even a fortnight before the end of term. No way can we take them at such short notice at such a busy time of year.

I'm responding to all their emails with a 'Sorry we are full up and just too busy to accommodate you. But if you would like to come for a week or two in September that will be fine.' You could possibly ask your PGCE uni if they will allow you to do your placement in Sept and then get on to schools

7. Go back to the provider and explain the situation. It is quite common, they may well be able to link you into a school to fulfill the condition. Also look at the TDA website and search for taster courses - some providers run these and you may get a placement on one - that would be enough to fulfill the condition. The TDA may also have school suggestions for you.
    James

8. Thank you everyone for all your encouragement and advice. i got a reply from a school about a week to the deadline and i was able to complete the school placement on time. My admission has now been confirmed by my first choice university and i'm looking forward to starting my course in september.
    It's good to know that i have a caring community of fellow teachers online.
    Thank you once again.