1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - Taking on a tutor group that is only used to chatting in tutor time...

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by TheHerd, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Hi All

I just wondered how you cope and what you would do in this situation. Your new tutor group is year 9, they listen to what you have to say but soon become very noisy and loud repeatedly after you finish talking and then continue to talk after you have asked them to be quiet. First question, how would you deal with this?
    Secondly and perhaps most importantly, on asking the tutor what they usually do in tutor times, they reply they just chat and have no activities, they dont do anything. Now, I feel I can't just continue letting them chat, thats not what tutor time is for right?
    How can I get the tutor to do activities and enjoy them? I know from experience its hard as they are only used to chatting and thats find with them...help!

2. Can you not just use it as an opportunity for a drop in session? Maybe sometimes just knowing that you are there to help is sometimes more helpful?

3. So you mean just continuue to let them chat but say if they need anything put their hands up?

4. I forgot to add, would this situation bedifferent if you were on long term supply at the school rather than if it were your 'forever' actual tutor group?

5. Exactly how you'd deal with it in a lesson. Tell them you want silence, countdowns, names on board etc. - whatever usually works for you/is the school's policy. But first I'd speak to the HoY/House and check what they are supposed to be doing in form time - don't take the kids' word for it!
    Ultimately, as you say, if they're not used to doing anything in form time it will be hard to get them motivated, which is why you need the back up of whoever's in charge of form time.

6. In terms of supply vs. permanent, I can see what you mean, but you're still a teacher. I wouldn't stand for not being taken seriously just because you're not going to be there forever.

7. I will find out what the schools policy is on this. I made sure they stopped and listened to me when I asked them to. But with regards to activities, I was not sure whether to let them talk/get on with home work or do set tasks. I guess I should find out first, thought of putting a problem solving task on board and getting them to do that, then they can still talk, but not sure...

8. I think you're saying that your problem is that they're too noisy, rather than they're refusing to do as asked? I'm sure the school has something in place for them to do, but it's quite possible that it's just there on paper. Ask other y9 tutors what they do, as well as asking the HOY.
    If they really don't need to be doing anything, and you're there for the whole year, think about what you would like them to do. Prepare for battle, especially if other tutor groups are allowed to chat. If you're only there for a short time, I'd just focus on getting the noise levels down. Do a questionnaire and use the time to discuss responses with individuals/pairs. Insist on quiet chatting so that you can talk to pupils and homework can be done by students wanting to work.

9. PR I think your right. I dont think yet there are really set tasks. I have been given stuff on seal thats it.
    It may be long term supply but not sure yet. Looking that way. The
    class are SO noisey. They go quiet when you ask, but once doing something
    they are just very loud. What can I do about this? They arent interested in doing tasks either only fun ones like logical problems etc. They have had a lot
    of supply teachers last year, so no regular tutor. I think I have an
    extremely huge task, they are very loud and rude!!!! I need help!

10. Hi, I had the same problem during tutor time, so I devloped some fun activities which is also educational. Check it out on ebay punch in tutor activities.

11. We have things set out to do each week
    monday - assessmbly
    tuesday - check pens/planners/presentation of uniform/ count up merits
    Wednesday - literacy/numeracy time, so bring in a book etc
    Thursday - quiz. I got the kids to make one up themselves, then they are the quiz master that day (saved time for me!)
    Friday - PSHE (peer pressure, drugs etc)

I'm sure your school will have something like that in place