1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James......Strike

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Englishandfilm, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hi James

Just Looking for dome advice, I am coming towards the end of my PGCE and I am in school on a placement buts it's just oberving, not teaching. I am a member of the NUT and am unsure what the strike means for me? Should I stay at home? Will it effect my course?

Also wondered if anyone else is in my position and if so, what do you intend to do?

Thanks

2. Hi James

Just Looking for dome advice, I am coming towards the end of my PGCE and I am in school on a placement buts it's just oberving, not teaching. I am a member of the NUT and am unsure what the strike means for me? Should I stay at home? Will it effect my course?

Also wondered if anyone else is in my position and if so, what do you intend to do?

Thanks

3. DT9

DT9 New commenter

The fact you are a member of the NUT is irrelevant. You are not an employee, and therefore can not 'strike'.
    Check with the school whether you should come in or stay at home.
    Most (all?) courses have a 'cushion' built in so that you can have some absence (illness etc.) and still get the minimum 90/120 (primary/secondary).
    Even if you don't there is an 'exceptional circumstances' provision that would probably be applied if you missed the requirement by just one day because of the school closing for the day.

4. Yes, I did wonder if that was the case. It's a strange situation to be in as I am observing lessons but there might not be any to see! Oh well I suppose I'd better just play this one by ear! Thanks for the reply.

5. Even if you are a union member you will be a student member at present and so calls to strike will not apply to you.
    Contact your school for advice on whether or not to go in on the strike day - the Head will decide if the school will open or not. You will not be penalised for a day not in school due to a strike - your provider can exercise judgement on the number of days in school and as stated often there is a small buffer inbuilt.
    James