1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - stress, sick leave and reference

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by rusmus, Feb 28, 2012.

1. rusmus

rusmus New commenter

Dear James
    I need a bit of advice. I am very stressed (work related - over worked, no mentor meetings or real mentor support and an SMT who have advised me to handle the situation myself). I called the TSN yesterday and they were really helpful and allowed me to clarify my thoughts a bit.
    They suggested I see my doctor and get some time off on sick leave. I have never even considered this. I've worked in industry for 12 years before becoming a teacher and this never crossed my mind then. I spoke to my family and they said that I should think about it.
    The one thing that concerns me is that my mentor would mention this leave on any reference for a future job (my mind is made up I have to leave at the end of the school year for my own peace of mind)., and this would be detrimental to any job application?
    And do I have to tell my mentor I'm applying for a job - or just when I get an interview? I've had a lot of conflicting advice on this area.
    Many thanks in advance for your time and advice
    rusmus

2. rusmus

rusmus New commenter

Dear James
    I need a bit of advice. I am very stressed (work related - over worked, no mentor meetings or real mentor support and an SMT who have advised me to handle the situation myself). I called the TSN yesterday and they were really helpful and allowed me to clarify my thoughts a bit.
    They suggested I see my doctor and get some time off on sick leave. I have never even considered this. I've worked in industry for 12 years before becoming a teacher and this never crossed my mind then. I spoke to my family and they said that I should think about it.
    The one thing that concerns me is that my mentor would mention this leave on any reference for a future job (my mind is made up I have to leave at the end of the school year for my own peace of mind)., and this would be detrimental to any job application?
    And do I have to tell my mentor I'm applying for a job - or just when I get an interview? I've had a lot of conflicting advice on this area.
    Many thanks in advance for your time and advice
    rusmus