1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - signed off sick, how will this affect NQT?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by vikkibolton, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Dear James,
    I have been signed off sick for 6 weeks after dislocating my shoulder, although I am not planning on being off that long, how will this affect my NQT year?
    I am part time anyway so will the time I miss off sick be added on to the next academic year?

Vikki

2. Ok
    The good news is that you are part time - though really bad news/luck with the shoulder.
    In a full NQT year you can still pass even if you miss up to 29 days due to illness provided the LA agrees to this reduction (exceptional circumstances) in time and that otherwise you are meeting all of the standards. Miss 30 days and the time (if you remain at the same school) would be added to the following term. If you move schools you may have to complete an additional term - a term is the minimum for assessing induction if it is a new school.
    As you are part time then only days that you would have worked should be counted as off sick not days when you would normally not be in work. So if you are on a 0.5 contract you would, in effect, have to be off sick for 60 days to trigger extra time - put another way you could have up to 48 days and the LA could still use the 'exceptional circumstances' rule to reduce your induction. So in some ways it depends what your part time contract is; how part time you are.
    Your six weeks off would be 30 working days so if you were full time it could trigger the extra induction time - though with a long term signing off it may be possible to reduce this if things get better faster and be signed as fit sooner than the full six weeks. As you are part time - work out how many work days this is for you. provided you no further mishaps you could be OK.
    James

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Can I suggest that you change your username? If this is your real name, you could be identified should you wish to post anything you wouldn't wish your colleagues/employers to recognise.

4. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

You could have up to 58 days (full day equivalent) off work (not 48) if on a 0.5 contract.

5. thanks but I only use this forum for advice, not planning on saying anything derogatory about my colleagues/employers!!!!

6. I'm on a 0.8 contract but not permanent so this probably makes it a bit more complicated!! If I move to a new school in september it sounds like my time off won't make a difference to my NQT, its only if I stay on where I am that I may have to make time up if I'm off for a while, which I'm not planning on doing!!!!!

7. Eva_Smith

I wasn't suggesting that you would come here for a good b1tching session. However, one day you might find yourself in a difficult situation and you may wish to ask for advice without being identified.
    Up to you though, but there was no need for the holier than thou tone of your response (nor the multiple exclamation marks)

8. Eva_Smith

I'm not sure that's the case. I believe (layman's opinion only, James is the expert) that if you are off for more than 30 day, you have to have your NQT year extended. Presumably at 0.8 it would be taking you slightly longer than the usual 1 year to pass induction, meaning you'll be finishing off your induction in September to make up the additional 0.2. I assume that if you're off for more than 30 days, you'll have to have you induction extended beyond that point for the appropriate number of days (proportional to being 0.8).
    You can, however, move on to M2 (or the next point of the payscale, if you started higher) in September, regardless if you've finished induction or not, just so long as you've worked 26 weeks in the previous school year.

9. If you are on a 0.8 contract then the maximum time you could have off and where the LA can exercise 'exceptional circumstances' and reduce the induction year would be 23 days, if you are off for 24 days then the LA must extend your induction. Regardless of which school you are at - the current one or a new school you would have to still be on induction until full time was satisfactorily completed. so your statement above is not correct.
    I would contact the LA and talk to the NQT adviser and seek a definitive answer from them about your situation.
    James

10. Thanks James, I'll give them a call on monday. Its all very complicated!!

11. Sorry that my response came across like that, it wasn't meant to be